Leaking onto the fusebox ('91 240)

Hi everyone,

I have what I believe to be a common problem with my 1991 240 SE Estate - water is leaking all over my fuse box. Does anybody have any ideas where it gets in, and how I best stop it happening?

The car has been plagued with it all its life (I've had it since '97 anyway) and it's getting a bit frustrating - I've had the fuel pump fuse corrode away, the flashers, radio and many more. I'm also worried about rust taking advantage of this leak, but I haven't found any yet.

My last three 240's ('77, '85, '85) also suffered from this, but nowhere nearly as badly.

Many thanks,

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Hi David,

I have the same leak in our '93 240 Classic wagon, but it's not as bad as the leak we had in our '86. I'm told the windshield is the culprit and should be removed and resealed...............

Meanwhile........ I've tackled the fuse corrosion by scrapping all the "silver" ended ceramic fuses replacing them with brass ended types (to avoid the galvanic action between dissimilar metals), sadly not available from the Volvo dealer, but stocked by VW parts suppliers. First tho', clean off all corrosion from the brass contacts in the fuse box and then coat them with dielectric grease before installing the new fuses. Advisable to disconnect the battery before starting this job.

Good Luck. Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

I've dealt with this on a couple of 240s. In both cases, it wasn't the windshield but the gasket where the hood release cable goes through the firewall. Also worth looking at the windshield wiper drives. Get a hose, friend and strong battery light. Re: fuses mentioned below, I have used the stainless steel fuses but now prefer the brass tipped ones mentioned which are now available from IPD.

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

If you have cruise contron the grommet is usually bad or installed incorrectly.

Reply to
<grays560