volvo 91 240 wont start. ignition coil?

hello

my 1991 240 volvo decided not to start today. some of the people i work with took a look at it tried to see if there was any juice flowing by sparking the plug wires then the ignotion coil. the tests failed and they said the the ignition coil may have died. the engine cranks without a problem it just wont start. what else could it be? there were no noticeable symptoms b4 this happened. one thing it did do was kinda stutter when i switched from park to drive but i just thought that was because its an old car. i dont want to go out and drop 50$ on a part and have a stupid fuse be the problem. any help would be much appreciated. also im an idiot when it comes to cars so it would help me if you could dumb things down a bit.

thanks

Reply to
flarb

It's extremely rare for the ignition coil to die, as in I've never seen or even heard of it happening in a 240.

Is this model one with the Bosch power stage mounted to the inner fender over by the battery? Those have been known to fail and will do exactly this. The crank angle sensor also can cause it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Check the 25 amp fuse on the left fender well under the hood. If that's blown, dislodged so it doesn't make a connection or has filthy contacts, the car won't start.

Reply to
Tim McNamara