Loud popping noise from driver's side wheel on 240

I've just started getting a loud metallic popping/knock noise (sounds like one loud bang on a tin can with a metal hammer) coming from the driver's side wheel area whenever I'm braking fairly hard within the last few days. Sometimes it happens when braking not so hard, but it mostly happens in hard stopping situations. It is a delayed pop and happens as the car is in the end of the stop. I know it isn't something in the trunk sliding forward and hitting the trunk's front wall. It's definitely coming from the front wheel area. It's also sounding as if the caliper is sticking because when I release the brakes, I can hear a fairly quieter clicking/popping sound coming from the same area. The caliper was recently serviced, and the backing plate & wheel bearing was replaced, and virgo rims were installed (Mar.

22). Anyone have any ideas?
Reply to
cton

the brake pads slide along two metal rods, which are locked in place in the caliper by little clips... perhaps when you had the service performed, they either forgot to insert one or both of the clips, or they might have just worked their way loose, and have allowed the rods to move around in the caliper... I'd suggest pulling the wheel and looking at the brake hardware, to be sure all is installed properly!

Same is true for the wheel bearings... they are tightened down with a castle nut, which has a cotter pin thru it to lock it in place... they might have left the pin off, and the nut is slowly working it's way loose

either way, pull the wheel and take a look, or have a friend do it...

Reply to
Perry Noid

Also look at the control arm bushings, ball joint and bushing for the sway bar. Make sure the strut insert is not loose or failing. Also make sure the spring is not broken. This may not be obvious if it's broken near the top.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike's and Perry's are both good places to start. In either case, any sort of odd noise from that area is certainly a situation that should be addressed ASAP. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Ok, the damn popping noise is back.

Reply to
cton

Sounds like it's time for another trip to the shop.

"Inordinate amounts of rust" (if I remember a previous posting) is a vital clue. The fact that the car is driven a couple days each week should not cause large amounts of rust build-up.

Were the replacement pads Volvo or second-source?

How much is the car actually driven (#miles/kilometers, and under what conditions) and where is the car located?

Reply to
byrocat