M46 Ttransmission difference

Hello,

Are the transmissions for M46 turbo different from non turbo? I realize that earlier M46 had a cast iron housing which was supposedly stronger but I would also like to discern if there any other variants.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

There are lots of minor detail differences, but nothing major. The biggest difference occurred in 1990 when the turbos got a transmission with a "higher" first gear. Also the overdrive originally had higher operating pressure on the turbos, then a new larger type was substituted that had a higher torque capacity (also in 1990??).

Reply to
Mike F

hanks, The should have strengthen the third. It now looks like this:

I am looking for a used one until I solve how to adapt a T5 from a mustang.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Hey Boris, down below is a cut and paste of an email I got from John a while back, he made up some adapters for just that project. I was going to do it and put my name on the "interested" list but decided to stay with a slushbox instead. You might give him a quick email and see what's involved. Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 18X,XXX 1985 240 Ti 20X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 10K

In repsonse to requests made earlier this year we now have adapter plates in stock to adapt the ' 93 and earlier Ford V8 version of the Borg Warner T5 transmission to replace the M40/41 and M45/46. If you are replacing an M45/46 we will need to machine your bell housing.

The adapter plates for the M40/41 bell housing are $160. For the M45/46 the price is $250 including the modification of your bell housing. Photos of the adapter plates are now on our website in the Products/Conversions section.

We also offer a complete line of performance clutch covers and discs for these applications. Naturally, these will work both with the stock flywheel and our aluminum flywheels.

Regards, John Parker Vintage Performance Developments

527 Buckingham Ave.

Syracuse, New York 13210

Phone: 315 478 1229

e mail: snipped-for-privacy@twcny.rr.com