"MIL/Check Engine Light" smog check failure in 1989 Volvo 760 Turbo

I just had a smog check of my 1989 Volvo 760 Turbo (Intercooler). All was fine except that the "MIL/Check Engine Light" check FAILED. Apparently my MIL light is always off, which I had never noticed.

Any idea what is involved in fixing this, what costs to expect? (Assuming it's not just a broken bulb, which I'm told costs about $50 to fix.)

Thanks for any advice and information.

Wolfgang, SaBa

P.S.: I do have a broken tail light and the service light is on, too, but I'm guessing that those two are unrelated to the MIL light.

Reply to
mot12345

Only the 1989 non turbo 4 cylinder Volvos had the check engine or MIL light. The turbo (and V6) engined cars didn't get the MIL light until

1990 model year.

Mike F

Thanks, Mike.

I also found this out the difficult way. I took the car to my mechanic, who called me later, somewhat baffled. He said he had pulled out the wiring chart and found that there is no MIL light on this model. I then went to the Department of Motor Vehicles with this information, and got absolutely nowhere whith them. So I went back to the Smog place (after I got a letter from my mechanic), and they redid the entire test (had to by law), and passed the car.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Mike F wrote:

Reply to
mot12345