Neutral safety switch replacement 740 wagon

My starter won't start. Based on advice I've found in this group, I think my 1992 740 wagon starter won't start because of a problem with the neutral safety switch. By wiggling the gear shift in neutral as I keep the key turned all the way clockwise, I've been able to start the starter and the car. Once I turn the car off, the starter won't start.

My mechanic can't look at it until next week. Any quick fix until then? The point at which the starter starts is very tricky. How difficult is it to replace the switch (if it needs replacing)?

Thanks.

Marak

Reply to
MarkG

See here...

Starter Will Not Engage: Start Inhibitor Switch.

[Symptoms: I have an 89 740GL that sometimes starts but sometimes does not. When I turn the key the car simply will not turn over: no starter response on key to "start". However, all of the panel lights, the battery level and starter assembly are good. When this happens I usually put the car in Neutral and then back in Park which usually works allowing the car to start.] [Response:] If your car is an automatic, like my wagon, make sure that the start inhibitor switch located under gear indication panel is not out of adjustment. A simple test is to push the selector forward or back a little in the P position (the only one the car should start in) as you turn the key. If the car starts, crawl under and adjust the rod just a little and the problem should be solved once and for all. Failing this option, check the switch and wires associated with the lockout switch. [Response: JohnB] Took about 250K and 16 years, but there it was: a potential pattern failure at the start inhibitor (neutral safety) switch. A nice square contact (should be rounded and smooth--the other one was) point due to wear and a relaxed copper alloy arm...the car wouldn't start unless the switch was compressed by hand (a get-home crutch, BTW!). And beware...the Volvo part comes with a new and cheaper connector that the dealer crutches by selling you four terminals and the late model socket for an additional $5.00!! You're supposed to clip the OEM chassis harness clip off and crimp the new male spade terminals on and install the late model socket so the new NSS can plug into it...I just used the old socket and spliced it onto the new NSS. This same NSS is used on the 9xx series....

Reply to
don hodgdon

here...

Thanks. Will need need to remove anything in order to be able to access the rod from under the car?

Mark

Reply to
MarkG

You could bypass it, the manual transmission cars came with a jumper plug to do just that.

Reply to
James Sweet

He fixed it by replacing the neutral safety switch. Thanks for the help.

Mark

Reply to
MarkG

Reply to
John Robertson

Yes it's definitely something to watch out for. Normally I would never suggest bypassing something like that, but the manual transmission cars never had a safety switch in the first place, something I've found odd, but it's come in handy on a couple occasions to get the car out of the way when my fuel pump failed and another time when the ignition power stage failed.

Reply to
James Sweet