new 240 queston

New problem with my '91 240. At first I thought this was a water in the gas problem but now that I've run a couple of tanks of "good " gas and 4 bottles of "drier" through the car I'm beginning to think it's something else. Yesterday I did a 50 mile drive and for the last 20 or so ran the AC. As I was going down an exit ramp off the highway the car started missing and backfiring. I made it to a store and let it sit there for a half hour or so. When I tried to restart it it ran great but I took it to a garage nearby. The mechanic did a cursory check and said he couldn't determine anything wrong. The engine was fine. Drove back home (another 50 or so) with no further problems. Today I've run several short errands and then later in the day did sit (while waiting on someone) with the car running and the AC on for maybe 15 minutes. When I went to leave it ran fine for a couple of minutes and then starting bogging down and missing again. Died in traffic but I coasted into a lot where I sat with the engine off for a couple of minutes then it restarted and ran great the rest of the way home. (10 minutes)

I don't know if this is related to the extra pull on the engine while running the AC or it's something unrelated. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Denny A

When was the fuel filter last replaced? I just had mine done (as far as I know, the first time in the car's lifetime of 20 years) and it runs astonishingly better.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

Try removing the gas cap after you've driven for a while, if there's a WHOOSH of air entering the tank you may have a plugged vent.

Is the Check Engine light on? Your car has onboard diagnostics for both the fuel and ignition systems that should store fault codes in the event of something like this.

Reply to
James Sweet