Oil comsumption

Hi, We have a 1995 850 with about 115k miles on it and it is using about 1

1/2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles. Is this within normal range and what, besides engine wear could be causing this usage. Is it possible that there is excessive back pressure somewhere or something of that nature which could cause part of this much oil usage? Thanks for your responses. Brad
Reply to
Mystical

Somewhere I think I heard that until oil usage got up to

1 qt per 1000 miles in high mileage auto's you should not be concerned about....

I also would not hurt to get a compression test done every year or so to see what kind of ring wear you are getting...

Using synthetic oil you should see very litte wear/compression change...

Back pressure can cause loss of oil...the next time you have it on a lift take a look at the bottom....a oil leak will generally show as a coating of grit/oil on the bottom caused by dirt from road sticking to the oil slick that the leak produces......

This what I have always done/used....

hope helps.....sno

Mystical wrote:

Reply to
sno

Totally within normal usage ranges. Leakage from the rear main seals and/or the cam seals seems to happen with some of these cars as they get older.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to
John Robertson

A former police officer I spoke to said that they did the same thing with their Camaro highway patrol cars for the same reason.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

It's called an "Italian Tuneup", probably because Italian cars used to be prone to carbon buildup, and Italian drivers like to drive like maniacs anyway...

Franz Bestuchev wrote:

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski