1999 S80 Keyless Entry/Alarm System

I have noticed that sometimes my turn signals will flash when I lock the doors with the keyless remote, most of the time they do not flash. Why is that? The doors lock/unlock and the red light is flashing every two seconds on the dashboard.

I wonder if Bill Gates is involved with my car?

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

Those times when the turn signals don't flash, are the doors already locked beforehand? If so, yes, that's how the S80s are programmed. Repeatedly pressing on the "Lock" key of your fob will flash the lights only once.

Reply to
ixat

No, I can exit the vehicle with driver or all doors unlocked, close the door, and press lock and no lights.

The only reason I knew they flashed was the other night before I disconnected the battery, they flashed when I locked the door. I disconnected the battery and charged it, and the next morning placed the battery back in. The lights still were flashing at that time when I locked the door.

A day later, they are not flashing anymore.

The interior lights DO come on when I unlock with remote.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

If one of the doors/trunk/hood is not closed properly, then the alarm doesn't set (lights don't flash) until that door/trunk/hood is closed. And if the microswitch in one door lock is defective (very common), then the alarm doesn't arm.

Reply to
Mike F

Hmmm.

Would those micro switches also be the same switches that indicated when the door is open or closed? They are all normal and work properly if (the display screen on the dash will tell me each door is open/closed).

As far as I know the system is arming (i will trigger it today with an open window and lift the doorlock and check). I am getting the red flashing light on the dash every two seconds, which from the owners manual says means that the alarm is set.

Deac>>

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

I haven't had to work on that part of the alarm yet, but I believe the same switch in the door lock is also used for the dome light. The only one I've worked on had a bad hood switch - try setting the alarm with the hood open and see what happens.

Reply to
Mike F

The problem was solved. I was reading in one of the later posts. One of the hood latches must not have fully engaged.

I open the hood and closed it a bit harder. Lights are flashing now.

I don't like to slam the hood, but that did the trick.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

If you prefer to close the hood gently, can't you just then push down with the palm of your hand over each latch?

Reply to
L David Matheny

It did not seem to work when I did that. For the most part, I just wondered why they weren';t flashing one day and now they were. I could really care less if latch switches catch or not. It will take somebody a while to steal the engine.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

Deacon...I am having a time learning the 00 keyless system "protocals"... as well... when driving the car home, this occured twice....i stopped to get gas...removed the keys, walked to the gas door and found it was locked...i removed the fob from my pocket and electronicaly unlocked the car...gased up, replaced the cap and closed the gas door...walked to drivers door and found the whole car locked...i electronicaly unlocked the car and "let myself in"...it seemed the system was re locking itself every time a door opened or closed......i need to dig into the manual and see whats up...or how i should set the car not to do that...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Hehe.

Davids suggestion about pressing on the hood...that worked. I didn't think about it, but there are two latches, I just need to press lightly in the correct spot... Now I don't have to slam.

Deacon

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart