OS sensor Problem

I have a 1994 940 Volvo. All of a sudden the engine was experiencing a rough idle condition. After about 15 miles the check engine light came on. Also there was smell of Sulfur. I checked the engine codes and the following codes appeared.

Code 2-3-1 Lambdfa Adjustment Oxygen Sensor Code 2-3-2 Lambdfa Adjustment Code 2-2-1 Heated Oxygen Sensor ( Rich Mixture / Throttle)

If the Catalytic Convertor was going bad would the car all of sudden starting running rough? Do I need a new Oxygen Sensor or Catalytic ?

I started the car this morning and it was running a lot rougher.

Thank You for help.

Reply to
pattinet

I had something similar on my 1991 240. It was the Air Mass meter (AMM) which had gone bad. From my understanding, it was telling the engine management that there wasn't much air(!?) so there was no need to give the engine much fuel. It could equally be the Lambda sensor, neither are nearly as expensive as a new cat.

I don't think a failing cat would cause you these problems, even if they're not working they won't cause rough running - it'll fail emissions tests though.

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Thanks for the info...........

Reply to
pattinet

I had similar symptoms, turned out to be a bad spark plug. I had been running Bosch (about 15,000 miles on them). Replaced them with Volvo plugs, engine cleared up and check engine light went out on its own after about 3 short trips.

Allen

Reply to
Allen

A bad catalytic converter won't affect how the engine runs, unless it becomes badly clogged. Oxygen sensor is where I'd start, but first check the connector to make sure it isn't corroded or otherwise damaged.

Reply to
James Sweet

I took the car to the Volvo Dealership. It turned out to be the Oxygen Sensor. Repair cost for just the sensor installed $452.00. Thanks for all the advise.

Reply to
pattinet