Overdrive relay

Greetings, all. Can anyone tell me which relay is the overdrive relay in a

1989 760 Turbo? Overdrive seems to only work after extensive warmup (at least 30 minutes highway driving), and I already replaced the overdrive solenoid.

Thanks,

--Dale

Reply to
Dale James

Check your fluid level and it's smell. It should be changed every 30,000 miles. The relay is the right hand one middle row (two positions right of the big double relay) on the relay panel in centre console. If you have a manual box then there is an additional switch on the gearbox which only allows the overdrive unit to be selected when top gear is in use.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Allow me to second Peter's fluid check/change recommendation and add one more bit. Assuming that you're talking about an M46 (4sp/OD) then your fourth gear switch may need to be replaced. I had the 4th gear switch happen on my old 245T, took about 12-15miles highway to get enough thermal expansion to make the switch trip in fourth. When I removed it it looked fine, only thing noticeable was that the yellow plating (cadmium?) had worn through on the little ball end of the switch, so it doesn't take much.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

The overdrive relay is marked "M46" on its plastic case

"Bill Bradley" ??? news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com ???...