Painting advice - blend the colur and remove the line

Hello paint experts,

I started this as a summer project. I had stone chip damaged in my Volvo's hood and I wanted to paint only the front section. So, I followed the painting technique(sanding, primer, sanding, primer, sanding, wash, paint_code, light sanding, pain code_2). Now, I'm happy with the result; New paint and the old paint match very close. However, there is a thick line between old paint and new paint, where I had the tape.

My questions are :

How do I blend these two paint and remove the line ?

I haven't applied the clear coat yet ? Should I blend before or after the clear coat ?

Any help/advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated ?

Regards K

My car's colour is `metalic silver`

Reply to
Ottawa Vehicles

When I painted my hood the general rule is to have an overspray section of a few inches that will eventually be rubbed down and blended.

In other words, your tape should have been a few inches onto the good paint and you not paint heavily up to that line. You are fading into the good paint by going lighter as you approach the tape.

Your options are to scuff the good paint and tape back a few inches and spray to blend, then sand or use a polishing compound. Or, you can attempt to use a rubbing compound to bring down the edge.

Ottawa Vehicles wrote:

Reply to
Jamie