Preachin' to the Choir

I know I am preaching to the choir, but here goes:

I caught myself telling my wife today, "You know, most Americans simply want a car that will last 10 years and 100,000 miles."

Then I looked at the Volvo and realized it was 20 years old and had

200,000 miles. (1987 740 GLE).

We're planning to buy a house soon, so I sold a GREAT 2001 Honda Accord EX. I loved that car - but owed about 10K so I let her go.

I bought this Volvo for $500 from it's one and only owner, never even having started the car! It looked like hell, and then ran like hell, and leaked oil all the way home.

Now, this car has become the BEST project I have ever had. There is so much natural, solid material to work with, that it just keeps getting better.

Normally we buy a car for mucho money and watch the numbers decline. In my case I bought in at rock bottom and am building up! I love that thought.

The car is paid for, it's a labor of love, and in the end - who cares if I've spent a bit more than her book value.

Reply to
Jamie

I know just what you mean.

A couple weaks ago, I bought an '85 245 station wagon for $470.

Runs rough, tail lights out, leaks a bit of water, overdrive not working.

But the engine didnt't tick or knock and had power; the manual transmission shifted smoothly, clutch okay, heater blower motor quiet and works fine, so the basics are decent.

I've been working on it since, deriving great satisfaction from troubleshooting and improving the car.

Soon she should be purring like a kitten, and then I'll turn it over to my son, for he and the family.

They don't make 'em like they used to, the 240 series is built like a tank, easy enough to work on, and parts (new and wrecking yard) are plentiful.

Reply to
zencraps

Some years ago I heard a consumer-spending-advice guy on the radio who said something I've always remembered. He said, don't buy a new car until / unless you can pay cash. He said, with the money you save from not paying interest, you can buy your stove and your fridge and your washer and your dryer and your television and...who knows what else.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

I am new to these groups, but curious about the archiving and removed from groups, etc.

Reply to
Jamie