Problem Start: turn IGNITION while in NEUTRAL - easy fix ??

Hi folks, My baby became fussy this new year. This is how she strats:

  1. Transmission must be in Neutral
  2. Turn ignition key
  3. Switch from Neutral to Park
  4. Starts Is this related to wiring somewhere around the tranny, and if so is it fix-it-yourself? 740 Turbo Wagon 1987, Automatic. Happy New Year!
Reply to
Volvo4Life

Sounds to me like the neutral/park safety switch has worn out, it's mounted inside the car in the shifter assembly.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks. BTW, what's with the price of volvo keys? They told me today that it'd cost me US$200 a piece, after discount!

Reply to
jv

Yikes, $200 for a key?! I'd heard more like $20 to have a genuine Volvo key cut, something I've been meaning to do since I only have an aftermarket key for one of mine.

Reply to
James Sweet