Question about blower motor noise on 1987 740

I'm thinking of finally replacing my blower motor, but have a question. It growls on pretty much all speeds, but puts out lots of air.

The usual routine is for it to growl all the time, then when you turn it on higher speeds it hums. Randomly it will begin to sound like the squirrel cage is wobbling and touching the housing. I think what happens is every so often the cage contacts something, the shaft spins in the cage and it makes a loud squeal. So, I turn the fan down then back up and all goes quiet until later and it happens again.

Giving the housing under the glove gox a whack with my hand seems to shake things up a bit. What it comes down to is I don't know if the fan just needs to be better seated in the housing, or if it's the bearings going out causing the cage to wobble.

The growl tells me it's the fan, but I wanted to ask.

JB

Reply to
Jamie