Replacing bumper on a 240

Its an '89 with 195K. I got hit a while ago and the front bumper was literally pulled out of its "sockets". Also busted the turn signal housing. All the lights continue to work. (Did I tell you I love this car??)

After getting an initial estimate or 3200 dollars (I love it, but can't afford that much love), i decided to peruse my local junkyard...wow.

Here are the questions....1) has the bumper and associated supports and covers changed radically on the 240?? 2) If I can locate a sound bumper on an 86-90 240, will there be any fit issues??? 3) Any concerns/differences between a sedan and a wagon?

The light housing is a different issue..they seem to be amongst the first items to be recycled.

Am I imagining things, or will a new bumper assembly essentially "slide" into front end of the vehicle; something a body shop could do within a day?

Please advise.

Reply to
Willie Bannister

Sedan and wagon bumpers are identical, they changed in '86 but '86 to '93 body parts are identical. Four bolts hold the bumper on once you remove the trim, it should take about an hour to swap it, however if they gave you a $3200 estimate I would guess there's some sheetmetal damage. If you got hit, won't the insurance cover it?

Reply to
James Sweet