240 Question

If 240s are so popular (and I'm certainly one of their biggest fans), then why don't they make them anymore? You'd think with the consistently high demand for these cars, even though the newest ones are 11 years old, Volvo would take the hint.

Reply to
PButler111

The manufacturer costs were higher. FWD cars are cheaper to build.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

They wanted more profits. It backfired on them, as people could no longer buy a $20K Volvo that was a tank. What they got was a halfway Volvo, much like how the Mercedes C230K isn't a true Mercedes.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Since folks are now paying as much as $12,000 or more for a good 240 wagon, I don't see why they couldn't just build new 240s and charge for them accordingly, so everyone's happy.

Reply to
PButler111

I know that this is straying off topic, but I've got to say that if you think a C230K isn't a true Merc, I guess that you haven't seen the MB series vans. Built by wholly owned DaimlerChrysler company Ssanyong in South Korea...

Talk about not a true Merc...

Reply to
athol

Wasn't there a company in the USA who fully recoed late 2 series?

Reply to
athol

Sorry, but I have no idea what you just said.

Reply to
PButler111

IIRC, there was a company in the USA in the past few years, who would take late model ('90 on I think) 2 series Volvos and strip them down to a bare shell, repair any body damage, repaint, recondition _everything_ and then sell them...

Hence, they were selling fully reconditioned late 2 series Volvos.

Reply to
athol

I have not seen prices like that in Oregon, but maybe that's because there's so many of them around here!

We paid $9,400 for our '92 (sedan though) 4 years ago with 65K miles in good (not perfect) condition. I bought it in Portland. Great car, and I can see why they could even start to appreciate in value, especially the '92s and '93's, since they have airbags and ALB.... "they ain't mak'n any more of 'em".

An appreciating daily-driver... wouldn't THAT be nice! I'd settle for holding steady but in reality, a nice 240 in this area is a $7500 car, MAYBE.

Reply to
Handywired

Mercs are Mercury's

Benz are Mercedes

Reply to
Mrs. Fricker

They don't meet current safety standards. There was no way to incorporate side impact protection in them. They were not designed for air bags. The safety standards of current models are far superior.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Okay, but I don't know what that has to do with my question.

Reply to
PButler111

I don't think side impact air bags are standard on most new cars, so I can't see why not having them would prevent a car from being made.

Reply to
PButler111

Side impact protection is required on all USA spec vehicles. The 240 didn't have it and weren't practical to upgrade. All Volvos made after

1993 met the USA 1997 side-impact standards

Side curtain airbags are not required. However they are standard on all of today's Volvos.

Volvo 240s didn't have air bags or ABS at all. All Volvos made after

1993 had air bags and ABS.
Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Of all the folks I know who've purchased new cars in the past 7 years, none of those cars had side airbags.

That's not true. All the '93 240 wagons I've looked at recently have both ABS and airbags. The '92s I looked at all had ABS.

Reply to
PButler111

The previous poster wasn't mentioning air bags, but side impact protection, meaning beams, A-pillar, middle door frame, chassis rails, etc.... Even though the 760 I drive was considered a "safe" car, it isn't as safe as some of the new cars on the road that are half the size!! New technology is difficult to integrate into an older chassis, even though the 960 was loosely based on the 760, it isn't the same car.

Like he mentioned, the '93s and up have air bags. My '87 760GLE has ABS.

Just cuz a small handfull of people love their 240s doesn't mean other people are going to rush out and buy something that is over 20 years old in technology!! Especially, if you mention that 92s are going for $11k, boy, you can go and buy a new car with a longggggg warranty with 0% interest around here, and they are still reasonably safe cars compared to an older 240, mind you, they will be FWD. Volvo has kept up with the times, the

850 was decent, the S70 (basically the same thing) was good, the V70/S60 are nice, I really do like the S80s (current models, not early). Volvo made a bold styling move with the S80, it was quite unique when it came out.

BTW: Volvo 240 Wagons go for pretty cheap up here in Toronto Canada, weren't most of the Sedans (wagons too?) assembled in Halifax Canada (that were for the North American market).

If you really want something that is good, go out and buy a V70 AWD, I'm sure you'd be more happy with that than an old 240, and it loosely resembles some distinct old Volvo lines (the stepped side line going out to the rear).

If Volvo were still making a 240, I wouldn't buy one. I love RWD for summer conditions, but when it comes to winter (most people here drive on all-season tires, which in RWD is useless), I'd rather at least have a FWD or AWD, even though I drive a 760 as my choice (and an Alfa Romeo Milano before that, RWD)

Reply to
Myron Samila

Read again. That's not what he said. He said all Volvos made *after* 1993.

What does that opinion have to do with my comment about ABS?

I never said any such thing. You seem to have a bit of reading comprehension trouble.

boy, you can go and buy a new car with a

Again, what does any of this have to do with the topic at hand?

Really? When's the last time you priced a 1993 240 wagon, fully loaded?

What a truly stupid thing to say. Did you even bother reading the original post?

Who gives a shit?

Reply to
PButler111

How many people do you think would buy a car designed in the early 70s and put to market in 1974?

They'd lose money on them, and they would have to totally rebuild the cars to meet current safety/emmisions standards.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I don't know. Ask Ford how many people buy Mustangs.

Reply to
PButler111

Your answers to my opinion make it seem like you're an idiot.

Yes, I read the original post, I make a valid and qualified opinion.

Wanna see what 240 fully loaded wagons go for here? 140,000 kms (87k miles) typically $2500-$4500 certified, emissions tested, and that is Canadian funds, so make that MUCH cheaper in USD. What they list for and sell for are two different things.

Figuring that you can buy a used Volvo 850 (1993-95) for under $8000 Canadian with low kms. 1998 V70s loaded go for approx $14,500 Cnd.

The very questi>>If 240s are so popular (and I'm certainly one of their biggest fans), then why

don't they make them anymore? You'd think with the consistently high demand for these cars, even though the newest ones are 11 years old, Volvo would take the hint.

Heck, Volvo should bring back the 760 too, they sold tons of those, and people still keep buying them used, hmmm, should Volvo get the hint?

Fast forward guy, it's now 2004.

Reply to
Myron Samila