240 Question

If 240s are so popular (and I'm certainly one of their biggest fans), then why don't they make them anymore? You'd think with the consistently high demand
for these cars, even though the newest ones are 11 years old, Volvo would take the hint.
PButler111 wrote:

    The manufacturer costs were higher. FWD cars are cheaper to build.
    Bill
PButler111 wrote:

They wanted more profits. It backfired on them, as people could no longer buy a $20K Volvo that was a tank. What they got was a halfway Volvo, much like how the Mercedes C230K isn't a true Mercedes.

Since folks are now paying as much as $12,000 or more for a good 240 wagon, I don't see why they couldn't just build new 240s and charge for them accordingly, so everyone's happy.

Wasn't there a company in the USA who fully recoed late 2 series?
--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Sorry, but I have no idea what you just said.
IIRC, there was a company in the USA in the past few years, who would take late model ('90 on I think) 2 series Volvos and strip them down to a bare shell, repair any body damage, repaint, recondition _everything_ and then sell them...
Hence, they were selling fully reconditioned late 2 series Volvos.
--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Okay, but I don't know what that has to do with my question.

It's as close to new 2-series Volvos as you're likely to get!
--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Where!?
I have not seen prices like that in Oregon, but maybe that's because there's so many of them around here!
We paid $9,400 for our '92 (sedan though) 4 years ago with 65K miles in good (not perfect) condition. I bought it in Portland. Great car, and I can see why they could even start to appreciate in value, especially the '92s and '93's, since they have airbags and ALB.... "they ain't mak'n any more of 'em".
An appreciating daily-driver... wouldn't THAT be nice! I'd settle for holding steady but in reality, a nice 240 in this area is a $7500 car, MAYBE.

wagon,
there's so

I see them getting more like 8-9k, but the problem is *finding* one in really pristine condition, generally if they're in excellent shape, they're not for sale. I can see the value of really nice late model 240's continuing to rise for a bit as fewer and fewer of them are around.
All things aside, the 240 is still a very safe car, insurance companies love one, and I'm sure I'll always own one. They're not the only good car out there but they're the car for me.

Amen.

I know that this is straying off topic, but I've got to say that if you think a C230K isn't a true Merc, I guess that you haven't seen the MB series vans. Built by wholly owned DaimlerChrysler company Ssanyong in South Korea...
Talk about not a true Merc...
--
Athol
<http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Mercs are Mercury's
Benz are Mercedes
athol wrote:

Well... I wasn't even going to mention those bastard children.
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:57:39 +0000, Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Right. But a $20,000 car back in the 80s would not be a $20,000 car now. Try $40,000 or $50,0000.
-- alex
'89 765T, 172,7xx mi
Alex Zepeda wrote:

$20,000 in 1990 translates to roughly $25K today.
The problem, though, is that the S40 was not the same indestructable deal that the 240 was. The new S40 - why not just get a Mazda 3 series instead and save a huge amount of money?(sigh)

If you're craving asparagus, why not just get some broccoli? Broccoli's also a vegetable, but it's must cheaper than asparagus. Answer: because you want asparagus, not broccoli. Get the point?
PButler111 wrote:

No. Same car. Different sheetmetal. Welcome to the 2005 Ford S40.

Joseph, the 2005 nothing is the same car as the Volvo 240 any year.

Site Timeline