1982 CJ-7

Until 8 months ago, I faithfully locked in my hubs and drove 5 miles to lubricate the axle while driving off road. Last September I moved from the AZ desert to Washington State. My Jeep has been parked for 7 months after driving it 1500 miles to get it here.

I went to an off road park to lock in my hubs and heard a clacking noise when I increased the RPM's in 4 high and 4 low. It sounded like my transfer case was not fully engaged. I unlocked the hubs, drove a few hundred yards and tried again. I heard the same clacking noises like the gear was not fully engaged.

My wife bought our Jeep new in 1982, so we know it's entire history. We have never had any problem like this before. Am I looking at a simple adjustment, or do I need to have major hardware replaced?

Thanks in advance, Norman

Reply to
Norman

That really sounds like one of your hubs came loose and blew up or the grease inside is sooo dry it isn't letting the lock ring slide down to fully latch. The hubs are supposed to be periodically cleaned to get the mud out and they call for a 'little' light white grease.

To verify, I would go in 4x4 with the hubs open and see if you have noise, then lock one hub at a time to find the stuck or busted one.

I blow the stupid stock ones up all the time. I now have one Warn lock with the other going in as soon as I bust the next one.

Mike

Norman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

-------------------------------------------------------- Thanks Mike, I'm going to try your test and and take Bill's advice to get her on a rack. I have her lubed every 3000 miles and I have only driven her

5000 miles a year for the last 10 years. The last 1500 miles has been hell.

I'll report back here once the problem is found.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

--------------------------------- Hello Bill,

There's nothing loose, so I'll get her to a garage and on a rack this week. Thank you very much.

Sincerely, Norman

Reply to
Norman

----- I engaged 4 low without locking either hub, stomped on the gas and heard, the same awful clanking noise. I'm assuming that the transfer case is the problem.

Thanks Norman

Reply to
Norman

Don't eliminate a bad u-joint. You are spinning up the drive train only now, so your hubs are fine. A dead u-joint will make a pile of noise before it explodes. You have 4 u-joints up front, two on the driveshaft and one on each axle.

The next test would be to remove the front driveshaft and put it in 4x4 with the hubs open.

Mike

Mike Romain

------------------------------------ Thanks Mike. I will try that next!

Norman

Reply to
Norman

[snip]

[snip]

It could also be a bad transmission mount. Years ago my CJ made a noise in 4WD that sounds like the OP's description. It turned out that the bad mount was letting the transmission swing far enough to the right to let the U-joint on the front shaft whack the floor pan.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

----------------------------------------- I now have 2 new U joints on the front drive shaft. When I engage 4L without locking the hubs, I still hear the same awful clanking noise.

Have I now narrowed the problem down to the transfer case, or should I check the mounts next?

I appreciate the guidance.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

-------------------------------------------------------------- What is the best way to check the mount?

Thanks,

Norman

Reply to
Norman

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

---------------------------------------------------- No noise with the transfer in neutral and the transmission in gear with the engine running.

Take the front shaft back out and try again?

Thanks Bill, Norman

Reply to
Norman

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Did it make noise with no front driveshaft in there and the hubs open and in 4x4?

The reason I mentioned that test, was to also eliminate the two other u-joints at the axle ends and to eliminate an issue with the front pumpkin.

If the front driveshaft is out and you are in 4x4, then the noise has to come from the t-case.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

------------------------------------------ I'll test it with the front shaft removed this weekend.

Thanks again, Norman

Reply to
Norman

I still am putting my money on a u-joint.... Two more to go up there...

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

-------------------------------------------------------------- The mount that holds the transfer case to the frame is loose. When I put a wrench on the plug to check the transfer case gear oil level I was able to move/slide the entire assembly about 3 inches left and right. I'm sure that the awful noise that I heard was the case banging from side to side.

I thank you all for helping me track down the problem and eliminate other items. My front U joints were in bad shape too.

Sincerely, Norman

Reply to
Norman

Three inches?????? I know you're exaggerating, but most of that is in bad engine mounts:

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

- The bad mount was allowing the case to slide and hit each edge.

Thanks again, Norman

Reply to
Norman