Roof Leak

I've had my 1998 S70 2.5D for almost 2 years now. It was some months later when it rained really hard that I discovered that the 'old lady' leaked. The point from where the rain drops fall into the cabin is lighting console at the top of the window, directly above the auto gear shift. I've tried (re-)sealing the rubber seal at the top of the window, but none or little improvement ... in other words, I'm not sure. Has anyone got any ideas how it might be coming in? I was working for a few months in South Wales when I first discovered it (it seemed to be always raining in the Rhondda!). The amount of rain in the passenger-side (to the left of the driver) footwell was not insignificant. Additionally, is there likely to be some place that might be acting as a reservoir. In all other respects I am very happy with the S70, despite the diesel having done about 145k and sounding a bit like a tractor at startup.

Any help in tracing this annoying leak will be much appreciated.

Reply to
Ron Sz

Assuming this is a factory fitted sun roof, sliding type, the seal is more to seal against noise/wind. The water should be carried away in a gutter to a drain.

There is a centre channel that may move with the sun roof to catch the water from the rear of the sun roof, check this is in place with the sun roof closed, if you can pull back the sun shutter.

Check the drains are working by pouring water into them with the roof open. These are at the sides above each door. Sometimes they can get blocked or kinked. There will be tubes that go forward and backwards from each corner of the sun roof. Watch for the water comming out onto the road.

Check the water is not dripping somewhere else outside the drains. The seal does need to seal against glass, and if the water is getting down this interface it may not drip into the correct place. Get an assistant to pour water on the sun roof with the sun shutter open and try to see where the water is going.

If the seal is the problem, silicon around the glass/rubber join should help seal it at least temporarily.

If you still can't see the problem you are going to have to start removing the head lining.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

And dont pour as bucket of water on the roof as i did, when my brother sat in the car watching. He didnt help me anymore that day, lol.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard