Water Leak Driver's Footwell

Hi - I wonder if anyone can help or offer their experiences of a 4 year old Ford Focus that has coincidentally sprung a large leak resulting in the drivers footwell becoming soaked - after a service at a Ford Dealership.

I bought the car in January (2003). No problems despite some heavy rain fall in Feb/March. The car was serviced in September. Its not rained much until now and low and behold the car is flooded.

I've since read about the potential problem with incorrectly fitted pollen filters (changed during a service) that can cause leaks. However these all seem to be on the passenger side. Has anyone had a similar problem with drivers side flooding. Is it possible.

The car has since been back to Ford. The problem was diagnosed as the drain pipe from the sunroof becoming detached. Which I find hard to believe as there is no evidence of leakage on the roof lining. Also the sunroof has never been used due to the car having A/C. Has anyone had any similar problems?

Reply to
Jane

In message , Jane writes

The pipe travels down the "A" pillar (that's the pillar either side of the front windscreen). If the pipe has come adrift at the bottom of the pillar then you wouldn't get a wet roof lining anyway.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I had the same problem. The water is getting in at the bottom of the windshield. The black piece that runs across the bottom of the windshield comes loose and the water goes behind it. Under that piece is a compartment that has some kind of filter in it one for the drivers side and one on the passenger side. If enough water gets in there there is only a small lip to keep the water out. I fixed the problem by placing a bead of silicone caulking to the lip of the black piece and puting it back on and screwing it back down. Yes it seals the black piece to the windshield but a small razor knife can cut it no problem when and if it ever needs to be removed.

Reply to
topher

On my Foci, both of which had this problem, the leak was through the heater/air cond. air intake located below the black cowl cover on the passenger side (US). The dealer fixed it in both cases by shoving a piece of waterproof cardboard-like material over the air intake. It was cut a little long so it humped up in the middle to allow air in on the sides, while stopping the water from the front and top. The material they used was actually one of the signs dealers put on the windshield to advertise their cars. This is not how it was supposed to be fixed according to the TSB on the subject, but it worked and would be a good cheap and quick solution if you are not under warranty. I have a feeling the dealer jobbed Ford on this one. I do have a copy of the TSB, provided by Badraptor. e-mail me if you would like to see it.

Gary

windshield. The black piece that runs across the bottom of the windshield comes loose and the water goes behind it. Under that piece is a compartment that has some kind of filter in it one for the drivers side and one on the passenger side. If enough water gets in there there is only a small lip to keep the water out. I fixed the problem by placing a bead of silicone caulking to the lip of the black piece and puting it back on and screwing it back down. Yes it seals the black piece to the windshield but a small razor knife can cut it no problem when and if it ever needs to be removed.

Reply to
Gary Compton