E36 convertible power window problem

In the E36 convertible (I have a 1996 328 convertible), since there are no upper frames on the doors, the power windows are designed in such a way that when you close the door, the window is supposed to go up by itself another 1/2" or so in order to make a firm seal with the top. Recently, the driver's side window on my car stopped doing this, and so doesn't completely seal with the top, which, as you can imagine, is no good when you're going down the highway, or when it's raining :). I can still raise and lower the window just fine, and the passenger side window still behaves properly. I'm guessing this means that whatever mechanism the window uses to determine whether the door is open or closed is stuck on thinking it's open, but I have no idea what that mechanism might be, or how to diagnose it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

-Dan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
afreet

The window is supposed to drop by the same distance (you observed that this distance is about 1/2 inch) when you open the door.

This activity os controlled by a switch inside the door latch mechanism. On my car, my window went up all of the way, but did not drop properly when the door was opened. In any case, I fixed my problem by removing the door latch and cleaning the various linkages so they would travel properly and activate the switches.

You didn't say, but, does the Auto Up feature work on the affected window. Does the window go up higher if yoiu use the Manual Up feature? If so, then you probably need to retrain your windows on what UP means. Do this by holding the Auto Up button the entire time the window is moving upwards.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland