rotor removal

I have a 740 1990 the rotors seem hard to get off .After removing the pin locating the rotor as well as the calliper retaining bolts ,I had clear access tot he disc yet it didn't want to move .Do I need a rubber mallet with a block of wood to move the disc ? They sure seem tight ,I used wd40 to no avail .The car is free of corrosion so its got me puzzled .I just want to de glaze the discs with a rub down .I would be most grateful for any input .

Reply to
John Robertson

There are two variations of the front hub/disc. Older models had a single piece, which required removing the entire hub. I thought by 1990 only the two piece style was in use.

I have the two piece type, but I don't recall it is hard to remove the disc. Just to be sure, look carefully at the inside seam and make sure there really is a separation between the disc and hub.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've had some real trouble getting them off on a couple occasions. Once I had to resort to a 10lb sledge but it finally came free.

Reply to
James Sweet

If they are very stubborn, remove the hub from the car. Knocking the hubcarrier out a well supported disk is /much/ easier

Reply to
M-gineering

Reply to
John Robertson

THANK YOU fellas it seems its just a matter of enough clout .They are two piece ,its just I prefer to check with the experts first YOU GUYS your great and make owning a Volvo a pleasure .

Reply to
John Robertson

If you get some antiseize compound from the parts store and liberally coat the mating surfaces on reassembly the parts will come apart much easier when replacing the rotors later on.

Bob

Reply to
User