Replacing front brake discs and pads on 03 Clio

Hoping for some good pointers here!

My wife's 03 Clio's brakes are shuddering quite badly when braking. I believe there may be some warping of the discs and so am looking to replace these myself (trying to keep costs down!). I've done basic car DIY many years ago and have a Haynes manual for the car but was also wondering if there is anything I need to watch out for or any tips for changing the front discs and pads.

Ta

Ian

Reply to
Ian

pretty straight forward, torx drive bit is required to remove the disc retaining screw, might also need a impact driver to help the removal of the screw as it seizes into the hub flange, if you do need a chisel to remove it & damage it its not detrimental to refit the screw. also make sure you get the right pads as french cars are notorious for having different types of pads & shoes for the same model vehicles.

Reply to
reg

Second that.

It seems a lot of garages don't bother refitting the retaining screw as the wheel bolts hold it all in place.

You do need to watch out for the type of brakes you have. I can't speak for the 03 Model but my Mk1 could have either had Girling or Bendix callipers. The Haynes manual tells you how to spot which is which (if there is a choice). It is quite easy as they look completely different.

Make sure you check the new pads before you start, as I only looked at mine when about to refit them and noticed that the factors had given me one wrong pad (pad grooves have to be offset). So there I was with the car up on jacks and needing to drive all the way back into town to swap the pads over.

You can swap the disks over without removing the callipers as there is enough space to angle it out and in with the calliper still attached, although you will have to remove the pads to do this. If repacing disks make sure the hub flange is clean so it mates to the disk properly. Copper grease on that will help with future replacement. Sometimes you may need to tap the back of the disk with a copper mallet to free it from the hub but on mine it is compeltely loose and only tightens up when the wheel bolts are refitted.

Easy job to do. Remember the copper grease on the back of the new pads and to refit the anti judder springs. Also a good idea to give the callipers a good check over, make sure they move smoothly and all the seals look good.

Reply to
Heds

That's generally because they have used a lump hammer to beat the disc off because the screw was seized in!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well all it does is make it easier to assemble the car in the factory. & if you do put it back then the next poor sod has to drill it out.

Reply to
Duncan Wood