Brake disc removal- How?

Have new discs ready for my RRC but canot remove the old ones. Tried supporting the disc on blocks and giving the hub an almighty clout with a lump hammer on a piece of wood after soaking with wd40 and diesel. It did not budge a fraction.

What do I do now?

Keep hitting? Where? Heat ?

Any advice from someone who has been there? I do not want to damage the hub.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Persheen

Persheen uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Bolt the hub to a wheel and try again. Your not hitting it hard enough :-)

Wheel will hold it better than the between your knees trick. Once it's loose unbolt the hub and away you go.

Don't forget to replace the ABS ring on the rear hubs if it has ABS... that was a Doh moment on our Disco.

A sacraficial wheel is a good idea too for the process.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Peter - your original way of attacking this was correct. Solidly support the disc and drive the hub out from behind. Your wooden block needs to be substantial/hard wood/close grained or it will just begin to break up lessening the effect of you hammering. Have you a good thick steel plate you could use to cover the back of the hub? That will reduce the risk of hub damage and make the choice of wooden block less critical.

Now hit it harder.

Can you apply heat to the disc?

You did notice the five bolts ... only joking, I hope!

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Mon, 07 May 2007 10:54:38 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

I was about to say that...

but the answer is the same. unbolt, support the disc on a firm surface so the hub is clear of the deck, place block of wood suitably and hit very hard. Might need a sledgehammer.

in the ultimate case you can cut the old disc with an angle grinder, being careful not to cut into the hub, so as to weaken and then break it. Not a job for the faint-hearted and shouldn't need it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many thanks.

I realise now that there is hard and there is HARD.

Peter

Reply to
Persheen

I found that application of sledge "with prejudice" worked a treat. Wear some safety glasses...................and maybe a crash helmet.

Good luck,

Dave

Reply to
Dave R