S60 Daytime Running Lights

Sorry if this is a repost...

Does anyone know how the heck to get the headlights on a 2001 S60 to actually shut off while driving? I put about 1000 miles a week on my car and most of it is during the day. I hate having my lights on all the time.

What confuses the hell out of me is why they have an on/off switch on the headlights when OFF, really doesn't turn them off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Derk

I realize that you just landed from planet Zolton. YOU DON"T GET TO SHIT THEM OFF.

THEY ARE TO PROTECT OTHER DRIVERS FROM IDIOTS WHO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL. THEY ARE A SAFETY DEVICE THE SAME AS SEAT BELTS, AIR BAGS AND A BRAIN THAT FUNCTIONS CORRECTLY!

Reply to
Gunner

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Gunner:

Wrong. But thanks for being so succinct.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

No problem shutting off those light - - if you're a dealer.

With the S80, we were introduced to the electronic showcase that Volvo's have become. They have, actually, broken a lot of gound on this. For those of us accustomed to "playing car," as my wife would have it, it's a pain. I always have that nagging doubt of a minor failure causing my S60 to stop *dead* at the side of the road. No fail-safe, no way to get it to return home on other than the wrecker's flatbed. If you didn't happen to know, your S60/80 has 40+ microprocessors outside the main computer!!

Bitching finished - Now just ask your Dealer, nicely, to set the switch in the computer that will make that light switch mean something again. Don't be too hard on him if he refuses, as this is an identified "safety feature" and he, technically, lays himself open to litigation if you have an accident where the other driver just doesn't see you! If he doesn't know this, he just might help out.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Gunner:

You really are a f****it, aren't you? Your answers demonstrate that you are not interested in road safety so much as simply telling others what they should or shouldn't do.

The gentleman asked a polite, intelligent and relevant question; this alone sets him a league above you with your idiotic answers. He was asking to do nothing illegal or offensive. People disagree with you; get used to it.

Charlie, we're not all as stupid or pigheaded as this twit seems to demostrate.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Don't be so aggresively stupid yourself - Canada and other liberal paradises may exercise mind control over their citizens instead of allowing freedom of thought, but we don't do that to the same extent - yet - in the USA.....

| In the US there is NO problem whenever you see an aggressive oncoming | vehicle with daylight running lights stop your vehicle, pull out your AK47 | assault rifle and blast away. That will teach the SOB from buying a Volvo | which happens to be known for building safety into its cars.

Unadulterated, whacko BS.....

| Why did our original inquisitor buy a Volvo?? Brain Fart?

Maybe he thought he was buying a quality car - does everyone who thinks differently from you function with "brain farts"rather than a logical process? What's your excuse for being a low grade moron.....?

| By the way when he dismantle this safety feature he should tell his | insurance company. | They will be most amused that he will be increasing his likelihood of | costing them money.

This "safety feature" borders on the terminally stupid - has zero effect and qualifies as an annoyance that only a liberal twit could "love".....

| The Defensive Driving Course tries to explain to drivers how they can avoid | accidents even if everyone around you is behaving badly.

DRLs don't have the slightest influence on "avoiding accidents". Avoiding accidents requires an alert driver with a brain, not a liberal law.....!

| You have taught me to pay particular attention to Volvos.

One would hope that you would pay attention to everyone and everything - especially liberal idiots who rely on lights rather than their brains....

| Let's stop this soon.

Good idea - quit while you're behind.....:)

PC

| > I am afraid that daytime running lights have been imposed upon all of us | > because of the idiots who do not know how to use their lights properly, | not | > only at night but also when visibility is poor in rain, murk or fog. These | > are probably the same people who never check oil, coolant and washer | bottle | > levels. It's engineering for the lowest common denominator , I'm afraid. | >

| > > Does anyone know how the heck to get the headlights on a 2001 S60 to | > > actually shut off while driving? I put about 1000 miles a week on my | car | > > and most of it is during the day. I hate having my lights on all the | > time. | > >

| > > What confuses the hell out of me is why they have an on/off switch on | the | > > headlights when OFF, really doesn't turn them off. | > >

| > > Any suggestions? | > >

| > > Thanks, | > > Charlie | > >

| |

Reply to
Proconsul

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Stephen M. Henning:

Actually, I have seen with my own eyes that this is not right. If a vehicle is approaching you with the sun behind it, putting the lights on can make it disappear altogether, because the lights will then occlude the silhoutette of the vehicle. In fact, I believe some defence departments have experimented with this lighting effect to make tanks and things disappear when approaching the enemy from out of the sun.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

The subject of Volvo running lights and whether to use them or not must qualify as one of the best unintentional trolls ever !!!!! Personally I use mine, but I really couldn't get excited about it. Plenty other makes of car on the road don't have daylight lights, doesn't bother me either. I do ride my bike with lights on tho, except for my old Triumph Trailblazer, the battery would flatten, but you can hear the bike coming long before you would see a light.. I haven't had a crash in my Volvo, or my Triumph, but I have had crashes.

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Thanks to all for the replies. I think daytime running lights are a good idea - I think the Volvo implementation sucks. Most other cars have a different set of lights for the day. It just sucks having the normal headlights on 24/7.

Thanks again! Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Derk

What you are saying is that is sucks for people to see Charlie Derk driving a car with normal headlights on during the daytime.

What I am saying is that the bigger the headlights the better because that may be the one thing that keeps someone from running a stop sign and pulling out right in front of me on the country roads I drive every day. Even with regular headlights on during the day, some idiots are still are blind.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Air bags. Maybe we can have them removed and let the Grimey Reaper do his thing and excort the mouth breathers into the shallow end of the gene pool.

Reply to
JJ

Why don't you get yourself the wiring from a UK/European car. They run with dimmed low beams with ignition on and lights at off.

Cheers, Peter.

: > Does anyone know how the heck to get the headlights on a 2001 S60 to : > actually shut off while driving? I put about 1000 miles a week on my car : > and most of it is during the day. I hate having my lights on all the : time. : >

: > What confuses the hell out of me is why they have an on/off switch on the : > headlights when OFF, really doesn't turn them off. : >

: > Any suggestions? : >

: > Thanks, : > Charlie : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The question was simple.

How does he turn his lights off.

He doesnt need to be preached to. If you are too ignorant to answer the question, then just refrain from posting. If you can add some POSITIVE posts, please do.

Some of you need to QUIT PLAYING GOD AND GO BACK TO THE ROCK YOU CRAWLED FROM UNDER..

-ysgi

PS> Have a Coke and a Smile and SHUT THE FUCK UP ! ! ! ! ! !

Reply to
YSGI

What happens if you switch the lights to the "park" position? Do the headlights go out, leaving only the parking lights on the front? This might be a better option?

Reply to
athol

I would urge you to see your therapist without delay - you need to have your lithium dosage adjusted....!

The answers the poster got were simple, direct and nobody "preached".....

So far, the only person demonstrating ignorance is you......and, remember that profanity and name calling is merely the hallmark of a limited mind failing to express itself.....:)

PC

| > Cheers, Peter. | >

| > : > Does anyone know how the heck to get the headlights on a 2001 S60 to | > : > actually shut off while driving? I put about 1000 miles a week on my | car | > : > and most of it is during the day. I hate having my lights on all the | > : time. | > : >

| > : > What confuses the hell out of me is why they have an on/off switch on | the | > : > headlights when OFF, really doesn't turn them off. | > : >

| > : > Any suggestions? | > : >

| > : > Thanks, | > : > Charlie | > : >

| > : >

| > : | > : | >

| |

Reply to
Proconsul

Advice that you could just as easily apply to yourself. You were not invited to be critical and abusive so kindly go back to your beer and SHADDUP!

Cheers, Peter.

: > Cheers, Peter. : >

: > : > Does anyone know how the heck to get the headlights on a 2001 S60 to : > : > actually shut off while driving? I put about 1000 miles a week on my : car : > : > and most of it is during the day. I hate having my lights on all the : > : time. : > : >

: > : > What confuses the hell out of me is why they have an on/off switch on : the : > : > headlights when OFF, really doesn't turn them off. : > : >

: > : > Any suggestions? : > : >

: > : > Thanks, : > : > Charlie : > : >

: > : >

: > : : > : : >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

So while this person asks for an answer to shutting off his running lights, and MOST others are limited to answers such as "YOU DONT GET TO SHIT THEM OFF" (yes that is what they said) and "What you are saying is that is sucks for people to see Charlie Derk driving a car with normal headlights on during the daytime.", I am the one with the limited intelligence???? OH, PLEASE!! ! !

I was as interested in the answer to the question as the original poster. However, I had to wallow through moronic posts, and I am sick of it. Everytime someone on USENET asks a question, 25 people feel it necessary to tell him why he is a peon and stupid.

Although I must say that the turning the little screw worked on my C70. So I did get the answer, but I could still do without the smart-assed posts, including yours.

-ysgi

Reply to
YSGI

If you do this and forget to turn the switch to either on or off when you shut off the engine, the battery will be run down by the next morning. I know, I did this recently.

If you use either the headlights (on) or running lights (off), the lights are turned off with the ignition key. The parking lights bypass the ignition switch.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is YSGI:

Welcome to usenet, where it's surprisingly easy to appear foolish.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav