s60 vs. BMW?

The s60 is a way better car than the s70 in terms of ride refinement and body structure and also aerodynamics and to a large degree dynamic qualities (handling, braking, etc.). It was a hot seller for a long time and is has been a success for Volvo. Volvo owners were asking for less boxy cars and the s60 is considered stylish, arguably Volvo's best looking car. True, it has a terrible turning circle and compromised interior space and visibility. Form follows function no longer applies in the European auto world. Mercedes CLS could not have been built in the 80s with its ridiculous small side windows and sunken-in feeling interior. I think it is truly ugly, reminds of the other hideous Daimler

-Benz product, the Chrysler 300. I don't like the small windows and cut off look yet the CLs is being called gorgeous and beautiful by just about any reviewer reviewing it and plenty of its owners and the 300 is absolutely popular. Both cars, IMO, have a disproportionate amount of body vs. window area.

I think the s60 is a good car. It's a supremely comfortable car that is due to be redesigned in 2008. Hopefully, Volvo will address its shortcomings: poor rear room, blind spots and so-so visibility, terrible turning circle--the major complaints about the s60.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

The s60 was *completely* designed by Volvo. Ford has nothing to do with its style whatsoever nor its packaging. That was a Volvo decision as the car was designed and finalized before Ford purchased Volvo.

Volvo cars from the s40 on may share with other Ford brands. But they may be Mazda, Jaguar, or Rover.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Isn't it a shame. Tight turning circles used to be a selling point with Volvo. My 760 turns tighter than my wife's considerably smaller s40 (by about 3 feet).

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Is it because of the bigger tires? The s60 does hold the road well. It may also has to do with how wide the car is vs. the overall length.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

The S60 isn't any longer. Tire width is critical. The S60R has a 42.7 ft turning radius because of the tires. The S60T5 is only 39 ft.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks for that interesting bit of info. the R is now totally out of consideration. 39' is quite bad enough; even it is almost a deal-killer.

Paul

Reply to
Paul_B