S60R or T5?

So I have a decision to make... buy an S60R or a T5. My dealer has an R coming in that meets my needs exactly, but he won't move on price (full MSRP). He can custom order a T5 and is willing to make a deal on it. On paper the R looks like it's a real bargin when compared to the T5, but since it's a new model I'm hesitant to buy. Anyone care to voice their opinion? I'm really at a loss here.

Reply to
Eric

I purchased my S60R last month and can't be happier, if you have never had all wheel drive, you don't know what you've been missing. This is my second car with all wheel and I forgot how fun it was in the dry weather, it's even better in the snow. The only drawback is the 18 inch wheels come with Pirelli Zero's that are not all weather rated, so now I have to shop new tires for the winter or get 17 inch tire and rims.

Reply to
Giorgio Carloni

You may not be able to fit 17" rims over the special disk brakes on the R. A couple of reviews have mentioned this. Let us know if you find something that works.

Jack - (only considering an R as one of many options)

Reply to
Jack G

The S60R is more a variant of the proven S60 model, and if you compare to software I'd rather use the 2.4 version than the 1.0. If I had the money (you lucky ***! ;-) I'd buy the R version, if there's not a significant price difference to the T5 with the same equipment. Long term value is also better. You can get a few extra bucks just because it's the R version. Your dealer knows this and thats why hes not willing to lower the price.

Another thing: If you're from US I can tell you that the US prices on R models are about 30% cheaper compared to Europe, including Sweden(!) (where they are built). /Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

I guess it depends on what you are able to pay. We just bought brand new 2004 S60 T5. Paid slightly under $30,000 including tax. I understand that for AWD it was another $2500. I think the R model was another $5-6000. Volvo had great incentives here up to the end of September.

Reply to
MAtzori

I have had 5 volvos. Never changed tires for the winter and live in NJ. Where do you live that you need special tires for the winter???

Reply to
MAtzori

Reply to
Rob Guenther