V70 T5 SE Auto

Hi group,

I'm new to this group and Volvos, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked before.

I've been offered this V70 (V70 T5 SE Auto), but I'm not sure if the T5 is a good buy second hand. It's a 2000 model with 66,000 miles.

I'm wondering if there's anything I should look out for - any likely failures or problems. How reliable is it generally? Also, what is the fuel economy like compared to a 200 BHP turbo?

Thanks,

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Carter

Current shape or "Classic" ?

All in all, the Classic is the better car, as the early mk2 were fraught with problems, usually electrical, electronic, software and trim issues.

Anyway, if its a T5 it will have a B2345Tx engine. All engines have a white sticker on the cambelt cover depicting which is fitted. Viz:-

B2545x- 2.5 20valve in either naturally aspirated (S or F) or low pressure turbo (Tx) where x could be a 1,2,3,4.

For both models- look for evidience of service history, lots of dealer stamps is nice, dont buy without. History and general condition is much more important than mileage. Beware clocking-they cover the miles well.

Otherwise-

Classic; a) air con evap leaking.- dash out job. (expensive!) b) clunking front suspension, saggy rear. Evidence of heavy towing- not good. If its got self levelling, check for leaking dampers- expensive to replace. If its got s/levellers and its sitting arse down, again walk away. c) ABS / TRACS warning light on (expensive) d) poor cold starting, poor idling- see e) e) problems with the ETS and /or engine management light on. f) irregular front tyre wear. NB T5's will need new rubber every

10-12,000miles. Manuals are worse! 2.5T's are much kinder on the tyres. g) drivers side electric window switch pack disintegrating. VERY scarce to find used and new ones 75quid +vat.

mk2

a) flakey dash warning lights. Error messages, fault lamps flickering on and off. Software issues, but not always fixed with an upload. b) engine flaring between gearchanges- software issues- have latest version uploaded. c) jerky changes, dropping into neutral when coasting, infact anything strange in the transmission deptartment- have latest software uploaded. This does NOT always fix it entirely. d) poor paint work, stone chips etc around the nose. e) poor idling, poor hot starting, poor cold starting, poor mpg (VCT unit faulty or stuck) f) irregular front tyre wear. A proper laser alignment session usually sorts it, but again upwards of 50quid. Tyres are dear so have to be wearing properly. g) Fault with radiator fans causing electrical fire - is recall about this. h) Electric seats not working j) remote locking playing up.

For a T5 you'll get low 20's in town, early 30;s on a run. For a 2.5T add

4-5mpg.
Reply to
Tim..