S70 Life Expectancy? bb

What is the typical life expectancy of a 2000 S70 with 100,000 miles? What major repairs can be expected and when? What are some things to look for when purchasing this car?

Reply to
rk73737

It all depends on how the car has been used and maintained. That model is due for a major checkup at 105K mi, including replacement of the drive chain. IF well-trteated and regualrly maintained, these cars should be good for 200-300K mi. The 5-cylinder engine is superb, and especially agile if equipped with a turbo (I prefer the T5 which is a higgh-pressure turbo --- goes like a rocket).

Reply to
mdrawson

Lots of ancillary parts are possibilities at that age including expensive ABS controllers, automatic transmission, etc. It is very much a crap shoot. Only even consider it if complete service history showing every factor service has been done on time is available.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I dunno, 100K isn't bad, depends on the price I guess. I've never owned a car with less than that. Expensive parts can break at any mileage, I wouldn't expect much to go wrong by then though.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have always had cars with over 100K

67 ford falcon--first car--did a total engine and trans overhaul, then crashed it--IDIOT! 170CI 6 72 Chevy Impala got worse and worse, but drove forever with tappy lifters and just 5 cyl working at the end--got 140,000 then my friend took it from colorado to conn. and used it a year. 350 v/8 73 Plymouth fury 1 ex nj state police undercover car 318 V/8 no failures just kept going and going and going 180k sold to buy 1974 datsun 260Z awful emissions carbs, loads of silly problems--bought new side drafts with c/v and was fine till I crashed into an idiot who blocked a road--I did not see him coming, officer. The motherf***** signed a complaint against me! I won in court...well over 100k no major issues besides a clutch 1968 type 3 webber downdraft--drove it till the clutch cable stops rusted out, and driving by rev matching eventually ruined the trans...200,000 plus 1977 scirocco I was totaly at fault for crashing the most beautiful car I ever owned 1975 Honda civic CVCC was a lot of trouble never ran right worse car I ever owned,. sadly put me off hondas for 15 yrs--but I love hondas and acuras now 197x ford fiesta no radio no nothing, it just ran and I loved it--orange with a sun roof that poped out and a 4 speed. Just fell apart, but I loved it. 140k 197x mercurry zepher 200 ci six drove fine but the rear seized well over 100k 198x rabbit with a automatic died with a busted head gasket b/c I did not fix the power steering pump and it broke fan belts and guess the rest--prime example of penny wise pound foolish--I was so stupid!! still 110 or 120,000 1990 Taurus 168,000 and some girl runs a stop and my wife hits her, wife refuses to drive car anymore. Needed a trans 2x a ford problem of that vintage ate the a/c compresser every year, just put in a new one under warranty 198x trans am was fine till it was stolen 1991 acura integra--still have, 140,000 on it 1997 taurus was fine till around 60k some guy in a miata racing a BMW loses control and misses a head on with me by inches. The Taurus saved my life--I was basically unhurt, side steel beams are wonderful. I will buy no cars without side air bags. 1997 Volvo 850 reflexive purchase after near death accident, 135 on it now no problems save abs unit. 1994 940 turbo s/w 173,000 on it just bought it love it a/c leaks freon in 2 weeks otherwise seems fine radio know shorts out left spkrs too. 20.5-22 mpg driving careful very comfortable.

Do not be scared of miles in a car not from the inner city in the usa. It will be fine!

Reply to
Steve

Barely run in. Sometimes you're better off after the age when someone else has had to rebuild the motor or gearbox.

Reply to
jg

Replace timing belt 105k miles.

squeaky dash, nobody knows how to fix that

replace air mass sensor (or something to do with that)

30 mpg on hiway 23-25 mpg in town

check engine light problems endemic for this car

otherwise great car

j.

Reply to
A faint wind, blowing from Wor

("A faint wind, blowing from World's End" ) :

uh-huh - that is correct.

Reply to
Debbie Monitor