S70 strut longevity

I had to replace the front struts at 110,000 miles on my S70. Now the rear struts are starting to make clunking noises. Is this reasonable service life for Volvo struts? What should replacement of the rear struts cost?

Reply to
Armchair observer

There are rubber bushings on the top of the rear shocks which are normally the cause of the noise. A little investigation under the trunk carpet should tell you if that's the problem.

Reply to
Mike F

Forgive the dumb questions, but are the shock mount bushings replaceable separately from the shocks? What should I look for under the carpet?

Reply to
Armchair observer

Under the carpet is the top shock mount nut and the top bushing which is replaceable separately. If you can make the noise by bouncing the fender manually, you should be able to determine if it's coming from there. If you need to drive, then you can have someone sitting in the back seat with the other half of the seat folded down.

Reply to
Mike F

I am having this too, can you comment on how the bushing is held in place? Do I have to mess with the shock mounting fasteners to swap out the bushing?

Just recently started driving me nuts, what little I drive this car. Thanks for reply JR

Reply to
jr

It's pretty obvious if you look at it. The top shock nut is in a little well in the bushing, the bushing is held onto the frame with 2 bolts.

Reply to
Mike F