Front Strut Lifetime Question

Replaced my front struts and strut arm at ~80K miles to get rid of vibration, wheel shimmy, and was largely successful. Done at a dealer, and I encouraged the thought that the front struts were not up to snuff. My feeling is that shocks this age may damp large motions adequately, they lose the ability to dampen finer motions of slight road imperfections. Diagnosis was that the front drivers strut was damaged, made a wierd sound on compression. Replaced both front struts and strut link arms.

Took the car later to an independent mechanic about replacing rear shocks to eliminate remaining vibration. Although he didn't test car, felt shocks would not be the cause, and that he regarded replacement of front struts at

80K as highly unusual.

Car is a 1998 S70, curious as to group's experience on typical mileage on struts before replacement is needed.

Reply to
squirrely

R Weinberger