Sat Nav not reading disc HELP

I?ve just purchased a 2002 S80 D5 , the problem is that the sat nav screen comes up (TV works ok), but I get a message ?cannot read disc? WHEN THE SAT NAV MODE IS REQUESTED. The car is booked into a dealer next friday, but I wondered if anyone can give me any ideas to save the visit, it may be something basic that I need to do to get the thing working. thanks in advance, looking forward to any helpful replies. DARREN

Reply to
blokefromsmoke

Have you ejected the disk to see if it has any obvious dirt/grime/scratches? I found my 9 month old disk had small round marks all over the data side, probably a cushion mechanism to stop it being scratched, but can't have helped the laser to read the DVD. They were easy to clean off with a soft cloth though.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Tavener

the display was working until the disc was ejected when viewing the car, on replacing the DVD nothing would work. I?ve cleaned the disc which was pretty dirty, and i?ve also blown compressed air into the rom drive just in case there was any fluff in it, but still no joy. I think i?ll try to get hold of a disc from someone to see if its the disc or the player.

Reply to
blokefromsmoke

Ok - i'll ask the obvious: Is the DVD in the caddy the correct way up?

Reply to
shaun

you know what, I did wonder that myself, so just to be on the safe side I tried it both ways, still no joy.

Reply to
blokefromsmoke

What about trying a CD head cleaning disk. ?

Taff........

taff

Done that, message comes up ?this is not a map disc, please remove?, so I don?t know if it actually did anything,

Reply to
blokefromsmoke

Yes it did, it tried to read it so it was spinning, could not read as a map disc, so the laser is reading the disc. Seems that you may have a faulty disc there, rather than a disc reader problem.

taff

Problem sorted, Volvo Bristol wanted £800 to replace rom drive and disc inc. £400 labour(big rip off), dealer who sold me the car sent me to an aftermarket ICE installer who removed rom drive and found dirty optics, cleaned them and all works OK. A big thankyou to all who tried to help.

Reply to
blokefromsmoke