Smoke

I have A 94 850 turbo I had just replaced the turbo possibly due to a misdiagnosis but that's beside the point. I had smoke coming out of the exhaust if the car sat idling more than 5 min....If I rev the engine up after idling I get a huge puff of smoke. The smoke clears up after a couple of minutes of driving. I was originally told that it was the turbo so I had the turbo changed.... I noticed an increase in power but the car still smokes when idling. The smoke clears up after a couple of minutes of driving. The car has 300000K and other than that the car is in mint condition .... What to fix next???? Kingsley

Reply to
King

Blue smoke or black smoke?

Reply to
James Sweet

Our 85 765T was doing that sort of thing, but worse. After a few seconds of idling it smoked (blue smoke) and it continued until I had been moving about half a minute. The crankcase ventilation was at fault - crankcase pressure was building up at idle and causing oil to back up in the turbo drain, which spilled over into the exhaust. It must have been pooling there, which would explain why it took a while to stop smoking once I got moving. It would also explain the huge puff of smoke. That would be unusual if it were valve seals, because the hotter manifold area wouldn't allow much pooling. Valve seal smoking tends to be immediate; they don't fit the "smoke at prolonged idle, clears when moving" pattern very well.

Cleaning the crankcase ventilation system - I had to replace one hose that was packed with deposits, and wished I had a replacement oil separator available - cured the smoking.

But now you have a nice, new turbo - 300000km is a full life for any turbo.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Its blue almost white...

Reply to
King

I **suggest** that valve guide seals **might** be the problem. A

**qualified** tech could better tell.
Reply to
Steve n Holly