Best tire size for 240

Planning on buying winter tires for my 92 240. I will buy steel rims at Costco (dealer told me to ask for rims for a 740 as it fits on a

240).

What is the best tire size for winter usage only. Is it wider better than taller or vice versa.

TIA

Reply to
Patrick

Narrower is better for snow,..... a wide tire sits on top instead of digging in. Just purchase the size as recommended in your owners manuel "only" snow tires instead of regular. Herman, '83 282 formerly 242 Turbo intercooled.

Reply to
Herman

282? How does that go? [245, ex 142S x 2, 145 x 3, 144S x 2, 164 x 2, 244 etc]
Reply to
Classic Car Fair

They list 2-3 sizes in the manual. Always go with the tallest one as the others will cause your speedometer to be fast. At least on a 240 it's true.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Hi Joseph,

Wouldn't it be better for the speedo to be fast than sorry?? :-)

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

He transplanted a smallblock V8 into the car. Not my style, but cool none the less.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I got the factory recommended tires and the speedometer was 6-8mph fast at 65mph, or about 10% off.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Joseph, I meant you're less likely to get a speeding ticket if the speedometer is fast....................

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

Bob, fascinating! Your 960 has the same size of tires than my 240. The previous owner told me he bought mags from a 940 Turbo cause he didn't like the 14" rim that came with the 240.

I guess I'll be look>Go narrower and taller. We got snow tires and rims thru a massive "tent"

Reply to
Patrick

No problem, its Rob by the way ;-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Sorry for the name calling...!!! ;-)

I'll see how much they go for at the dealer. Really too bad the dealer doesn't sell Volvo rims for RWD like the 240.

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
Rob Guenther

As far as I know they do, just not the cheap steel rims that you can find anywhere else, they're even plentiful at junkyards. You can still buy alloys for the RWD cars from Volvo, but they're ridiculously expensive, something like $450 each.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sedan or wagon?

See the owner's manual. Sedan is probably 185/70R14, which is a common size. Wagon is probably 185R14, which is now rare. If you cannot find it, 195/75R14 is the closest alternate size with good selection and availability.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee