Speedo not working 740? any ideas?

Hi Group.

First post so not sure if there is an FAQ section?

Just been given an 740 ready for a trip to the nurburgring (i know, not the most ideal candidate - but hell it was free!!!)

Having never driven a volvo before i was assured by the owner that the whole wallowey front end thing was normal? any comments?

The speedo has stoped working, i have heard that this is a common fault and that it costs big bucks. Again any ideas or pointers.

Many thanks in advance

Silver

Reply to
Silver

Wallowey? The front end should be nice and tight, true these aren't sports cars but they should be stable and quite nimble for their size. The strut rod bushings often fail though and that'll make the car handle sloppy.

I've only ever come across this a couple times and both times the wire to the sender on the rear axel had crumbled and failed. It was cheap and easy to fix.

740 is a good solid car, put a bit of work into it and it might well just keep going and going.
Reply to
James Sweet

Also the front shocks get soggy too. My neighbour's had a completely empty front shock, it seemed the body of the car was connected to the front suspension by a couple of elastic bands.

Reply to
Mike F