Volvo Newcomers (not so new now) Add Turbo?

We still have a few questions about the 740 wagon we bought in March. Great little car, dependable, seems to always start up even when lights left on for hours. (This is because we're used to a warning mechanism for the lights and this car has none, therefore we forget.) Is it possible to add/repair the warning mechanism? Also acceleration is not so great, probably standard for a

4 cylinder without turbo. Anyone know if possible to add turbo and the cost? These are the only two irritations with this car. Otherwise we love it. Thanks for any answers.

Sherry

Reply to
PaNjDeFemale

Little? I don't know where you are but in Australia any 4.8 metre long car would be considered quite large!

If you have a VDO instrument cluster (identified by the one large window for the trip meter numbers), the 4th warning light from the left is a "light's on reminder" light. All I had to do was to fit a working light bulb in that spot. If your instrument cluster is a Yazaki unit (identified by little windows for every digit on the trip meter), that spot is taken up by service reminder light instead.

But either way, if you leave your lights in "headlight" position, it's switched off via the ignition anyway when you remove the key. Only the parking light will remain on after the ignition is switched off.

Take a look at this website. The guy converted his naturally aspirated 740 Estate into a turbo. The website shows his work progress in different stages, and will give you an idea what's involved and what parts you need.

But in a nutshell, it's a lot cheaper and easier to sell your car and buy a turbo model. Even this guy who did the conversion said so. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT (B230F) - daily driver '73 Volvo 164E - awaiting repair & restoration

Reply to
William Liao

I think you can get aftermarket 'headlight on' warning lights and buzzers.

You can't add a turbo to the normally aspirated Volvo engines, because they have higher compression. You can get aftermarket cams that will improve performance, or you can transplant a whole turbo engine in.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

in Europe ther was an original 'Turbo Kit' for the Volvo 240 2.1 engine. This should be usable for this 740, but I think that it will cost a lot of money, and indeed it will be much more cheap to buy a new car instead!

Reply to
wim meerschaut

Hardly a little car, not even small.

I thought the 740 lights would go off once the car is turned off. It is impossible to keep the lights on on my 760 (1990). Once the engline is off the headlights go off. It's possible to keep the park lights on, however.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Reply to
Rob Guenther

There have been serveral susessful Turbo convertions created by members of the

forum, most of you questions have been asked before and answered in this thread
`02 Enjoy and good luck, welcome to the small group of modded bricks!

Reply to
Griz