240 Differential modifications

I have a 1992 240 Wagon, 5-speed - ABS and air bag. It's in pretty good shape.

Originally, this came with limited slip diff, but essential components of that broke and the rear axle was replaced with an axle from a non-ABS car. Unfortunately, this happened at a time when I was unable to pursue the repairs and have them fixed properly. I'm not sure what year or model axle is on the car now, aside from being late 80's.

Now, the car drives reasonably, but nothing that runs off the diff signal works properly. The speedo does register about 30 km/hr at 3,000 RPM in 5th gear, which is a bit low. The odometer isn't useful and the cruise and ABS don't work at all.

The local mechanics tell me that if they replace the reluctor ring (with a Volvo part they've identified), the diff output will match what the computer expects to see. Cost looks reasonable compared to the other options.

I'm of course concerned that I don't once again get involved in a repair that won't work properly. Is there a way I can be sure, prior to putting wrench to car, that this reluctor ring will actually work (i.e.fit) with the diff presently on the car?

The ideal for me would actually be to get a limited slipdiff or axle that works with this car, in case anyone just happens to know of one....

Thanks for any comments. Patrick Keenan

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

Try

they may be able to help you

Reply to
G Klein

If they get the right ring, then that will be the fix. However, changing it does require removal of the carrier, which is a fairly major job.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks, I have emailed them.

-pk

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

Thanks for this. Have to ask, though - how are you defining "fairly major" in this context? How might it be expressed in hourly terms, for example?

Thanks again.

-pk

Reply to
Patrick Keenan

Well it requires fairly complete disassembly of the rear axel, it'd be best to ask the shop for a quote, I would assume it to take at least 3 hours for an experienced mechanic but as with all things, it goes substantially quicker with all the right tools.

Reply to
James Sweet

First drain the diff. You need to remove the rear calipers and rotors, disassemble the parking brake and pull out the axles. Then remove the diff cover, put the heavy tool on the housing to expand the housing, remove the bearing caps and pull out the diff carrier/crown wheel assembly. Then you can change the reluctor ring, and put it all back together. 3 hours seems fair, but keep in mind that most "book" times include lots of fussy setup of clearances and preloads that you won't need to have done.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks very much for the replies! I will go back to their estimate and see if it includes that much time - as I said I don't want to get into having the repair done improperly *again*. I do have some faith in this particular garage, but this is very reassuring.

There will probably be an amount of "while you're up there" work as well.. bushings and shocks, etc.

Thanks again, Patrick Keenan

Reply to
Patrick Keenan