splitfire plugs?

car: '89 240 wagon

I'm about due for some new plugs, and I noticed that the splitfire plugs would be about the same price (or even a little cheaper) as what I'd normally put in. I don't really expect them to give any great increase in gas milage, but even a little would be nice these days! Any problem with them running too hot? Burning pistons or anything really nasty???

Reply to
Perry Noid

We ran them for a year or so in a boat I wrenched on. They work fine in a 434" small block with 16.5:1 compression... Got to watch out for flash where they split them though. Sometimes there's a little burr left behind that could glow and cause pre ignition. We did push the center electrode out of one once. btw, there was no apparent performance gain and we wouldn't have run them at all if they weren't free. 24-32 plugs a weekend is beer money!

Reply to
clay

I've heard nothing but problems with splitfire plugs. Skip the gimmicks and use good old plain NGK plugs, they work perfectly every time.

Reply to
James Sweet

That's the bottom line - reliable plugs are getting hard enough to find. NGKs are a good bet.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee