Spark Plugs

I was about to change the plugs in my PI, believing that NGK BPR6ES was the correct plug, when I noticed that those in the engine already were NGK BP6EV.

I have never seen this number before. Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) of this plug? And is there a good reason why the previous owner would have chosen them?

I did fit my BPR6ES and changed the HT leads because the ones fitted looked really ancient, and the engine sounds really sweet now. So I am trying to decide whether to fit BP6EV back. (I can always reuse the BPR6ES in my

2000).

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Jim Warren ( snipped-for-privacy@OMITblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd take a guess that the "R" indicates a resistor plug, and the "V" a V- groove electrode, s'posed to fire better/more evenly/whatever....

It's the same heat range, so shouldn't be a big problem. NGKs website suggests BP6E or BP6ES for a Triumph 2500.

It also suggests the "unique V-grooved centre electrode requires less voltage to produce a better quality spark. This results in better cold starting, enhanced engine performance, more complete combustion, improved exhaust emissions"

But they would say that, wouldn't they?

seems to carry both BP6ES and BP6EV - £2.55 each for the ES, £5.06 each for the EV. Your choice - Is the "V-groove" marketing guff worth double the price?

Reply to
Adrian

The V designation is the super duper, thin, precious metal center electrode version of the standard plug. The benefits are easier starting, better acceleration and extended life. The downside is they are about three times the price. I run my own cars and bikes on them, but rarely fit them to customers vehicles.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

&categoryID=19 seems to carry both BP6ES and BP6EV - £2.55 each for theES,

In a word, No. The engine is running nicely on BPR6ES now, so I will leave them in. And Halfords sell them at £9.49 for four.

Thanks also to MrCheerful for his information.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

D'you reckon an extended life of three times, to match the price? Or is that too much to hope for ;-)

Reply to
DocDelete

they certainly run longer and better, so need for maintenance is down, but I don't find they last three times as long.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

My wife's Toyota has platinum-tip plugs. They only require changing every 60000 miles (good job in view of the engine-under-floor layout!). The downside is Toyota's price of £60 a set.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

We were only initially talking about the v plugs by ngk, certainly there are platinum plugs that last a lot longer. The ngk V type have a very slender center electrode, the ford ( and probably the toyota type) have a much thicker platinum tip, which would take longer to wear.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful