Spontaneous 940 cruise!?

Hey all...

So, I bought a used '94 940 wagon about three months ago, and it's great, but the cruise control didn't work, and hadn't worked for the previous owner, who had it for about a year since the original owner. I'd tried it repeatedly, and the tail lights work and all the hoses looked good....

so then yesterday, i was on the last leg of a long drive (colorado to new york) and hit the "set speed" button by accident while turning and the cruise kicked in! It was the greatest feeling and I was able to get it to work one more time during the drive, but it certainly wasn't predictable.

So, now that I know it's so close to working I would really love for it to happen. Once it was cruising, it worked perfectly and I could brake and then resume fine. This leads me to believe that there is merely a loose connection in the set speed button. Is there an easy way to take off the turn signal handle and confirm this? Other suggestions?

I really appreciate the help.

-Larry

Reply to
Larry

Hi, I got a 945 Turbo - 93. My cruise most often work but sometimes it seems dead. I discovered that the clutch wasn't going back all the way up again in these cases, so the sensor that senses the clutch's position thinks that you have the clutch down and thus the 'set speed' won't work. Try this: Put your foot UNDER the clutch and pull it up completely, then try to set the speed. It is possible that this will work. If it works now, then you either has to adjust the sensor or "tighten the spring" of the clutch. Hope this helps. Niclas N. Sweden

Reply to
Nisse

And try the same thing with the brake pedal.

Reply to
Mike F

Well,

I've tried pushing up on the brake (my car is an automatic) but that doesn't seem to help in starting the cruise control. I haven't been able to activate it again.

Thanks for the help, Larry

Reply to
Larry

There are a few other simple things to check. Mounted near the throttle pulley, and connected to it with a short cable is the vacuum actuator for the cruise. Make sure that it is connected and there's no holes in it. Follow the hose from it to the pump, once again checking condition and connection. Follow the other hose on the pump through the firewall to the pedal switch. Also make sure that the brake lights are working, the cruise computer is grounded through them.

Reply to
Mike F