springs again

No free lunch when it comes to suspension. If you set the rear end to handle better AND handle the load, when empty it will sit high and run stiff. That is why Volvo did the Nivomats for some wagons- it allowed a level ride regardless of load. Sure, there are better handling shocks, but you can't have our cake and eat it as well. Air shocks might be an option, or air assist springs.

38PSI might "seem" to handle well, but logic would seem to indicate that it probably would not handle as well as would 33-35 or so. At 38 they won't heat up as well and will offer a smaller contact patch.

Adding a stabilizer bar (anti-roll bar) would probably be the best start. Keeping the car level on corners is critical for handling.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

You can swap the springs, as I did, but the wagon springs don't feel significantly harder than the sedan springs did so I'm not sure there's any difference. On the 240 the wagon springs feel substantially stiffer.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sorry to hijack the thread, but do the 240 Wagons have these stabiliser bars on the rear as standard? If not, can they be retro fitted like the

700's?

Cheers.

Reply to
Dick Brown

IPD

and probably other sources have "overload springs" to allow normal shocks to be used on these models. When the Nivomats went out on our 765T, I went to the overload springs and Boge (IIRC) shocks. They work great.

I was amazed at how easy it was to change the rear springs. Once I had the shocks out, there was only a single bolt holding each spring.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yes all 240's have swaybars standard, the turbos have somewhat thicker ones that can be put on any 240 for a signficant handling improvement. IPD sells aftermarket bars that are even better.

Reply to
James Sweet

Can some one please tell me is it possible to fit the springs of a wagon into a sedan in an effort to tighten up the rear end on my 1990 turbo ?.Its not sagging just seems soft handling .As well with my wife son and myself ,an 82 litre tank full, its a bit low to the ground .Did the front end with gas shockers back one are fine just those springs dont seem taunt enough .I put 225 x50x 16 inch tyres on and they do a good job as my older Pirellis seemed to be hard with age as well as low on tread .The Fulda extremo at 38 psi seem to grip well .Incidentally the Pirellis were 205x 55x 16 .

Reply to
John Robertson

That's assuming he doesn't have a 760 sedan, which would have the multilink rear suspension. In that case, the only choices are new Nivomats or a kit from IPD (ipdusa.com). On the solid axle cars, wagon springs are a good upgrade.

Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
John Robertosn