Power locks in 1980 240 DL ???

I've been poking around my Volvo that i'm kinda fixing up and i've found the little L shaped black boxes that are in the base of each door and in the tailgate. I didn't think anything of it and just figured that it must be part of the manual lock. However. When I was fixing the rear wiper I realized that the box was connected to two wires so I was assuming that this must be a power lock. There are no power locks in any of the armrests/doors so I'm not sure what to think?

Reply to
Mwveenhu

They're power locks, when you activate the driver's door lock manually the rest of the car should lock and unlock.

Reply to
James Sweet

Haha alright then. Well i'm guessing that that feature is shot. I'll have to go back through and check out the wiring. Thanks!

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Mwveenhu

It's been awhile since I had my 240, but if I remember correctly, the power door locks (aka central locking system) were controlled by the drivers door lock. When you used your key to unlock the drivers door, all the doors unlocked. When you pushed down the "lock stem" (not really sure what it's called) on top of the drivers door, all the doors locked, and all the doors unlocked when you pulled it up. I had a problem with the central locking mechanism on my 81 240 where the doors locked and unlocked by themselves spontaneously to the point that the battery went dead. I "fixed" it by pulling out the fuse.

Reply to
Steve and Amy Bernth

A weak link in the 240 power locks is the plastic collar which surrounds the driver's door lock mechanism, inside the door.

It activates the other locks, depending on whether the key turns in the lock.

They wear out, break, and are readily replaceable.

(Hello, U Pull It)

Reply to
zencraps

But damm hard to get at.

Howard

Reply to
Howard Nelson

I always liked the "central locking" in the 240. Very low key (no pun intended), no obvious switches on the armrests or dashboard. You didn't have to unlock the driver's door, open it, and hit the switch, like in most cars of the era. It just always did what you wanted it to.

Volvo seems to have lost that technology between then and now.

-----

-RL

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Ugh. Don't remind me of that tragic day in 1999. :(

Robert Lutwak wrote:

Reply to
Mwveenhu

Sort of, but certainly do-able by a shadetree mechanic.

Remove the interior door panel, then it is exposed: the toughest thing is popping it free, which is pretty easy, once you figure how it works.

There is a tab that goes through a slot: put on pressure at the right spot and force the tab out, then the plastic collar is free: disconnect it from the wiring, disconnect the rod to the linkage, and you are there.

Reply to
zencraps

I'm always forgetting to lock doors of other cars I drive, I've gotten so spoiled by the other doors just locking when I lock the driver's door.

Reply to
James Sweet