Symptom sorter.. 240 estate

Hi all! E reg 240 estate, occasional belt squeel from engine. when this happens it won't idle, revs drop and it stalls. When the belt doesn't squeel tickover is fine.

i'm presuming water pump bearings are binding intermitently.. anyone had the same problem?

Les.

Reply to
Pharmanaut

I would bet more on the A/C compressor or alternator than the water pump. However, if it's this bad, removing the drive belts and spinning each component by hand should tell you which one has a bad bearing.

Reply to
Mike F

Cheers Mike.. no a/c on this one so may be alternator. I've tried varying the load on the alternator ( switching off lights, fan etc ) to see if it made any difference.. but none noticed... time to get under the bonnet I think.

Les

Mike F" > 3rd time!"

Reply to
Pharmanaut