96 intrepid whining squealing transmission

Hi Folks: I'm working on this Intrepid for a friend. Twice, she says it won't come out of first gear, and it started whining (maybe at the same time). It's whining all the time now, except when it's first started for about 10 minutes. Even when it's hot, if you shut it off for a few minutes, it will stop whining for a few minutes when started, when I know it must still be hot. It drives and shifts fine until 'something' happens and it's either dropping out of gear completely, or just not coming out of first. It doesn't whine on the idle, but does just coming off the idle. It whines in gear when power-breaking it, but the tone changes in reverse. The whine frequency is proportional to the engine speed, not the vehicle speed. Does this sound like the pump in the front of the tranny? I think I can 'feel' the whining in the hoses running to the radiator. Can this pump be easily changed (outside of pulling the tranny first)? She has 200,000 good miles on this car and I'm suprised how easy it looks to work on. She says she'd buy another one.

Reply to
HarryHydro

Are you sure the transmission is shifting to1st gear and not 2nd? The transmission computer is designed to go automatically into "limp home" mode if it detects and error from any of its sensors. Limp mode is 2nd gear.

I'd take it to a competent transmission service shop that has experience working on Chrysler transmissions and get the codes read. It could be something simple, like a vehicle speed sensor, which has failed so needs to be replaced.

These transmissions are also extremely sensitive to the ATF fluid type. Make sure that it is full and only use ATF+3 or ATF+4 - nothing else. Also make sure the trans shop uses this as well since many will try to substitute GM Dexron and this will appear to work OK for them but will certainly kill the trans over time.

Also, tell her that trans needs regular maintenance as well. The pan should be dropped and cleaned and the filter and fluid replaced with genuine Chrysler about every 30K miles. Also, there is a differential gearbox up there in that trans axle too. It should be flushed and refilled per the maintenance schedule as well every so often (I did mine at 60K miles when I was doing the trans fluid and filter).

Let us know what they find. I have a 1996 Eagle Vision TSI (same as the Intrepid) and a 2001 Intrepid that both have that transmission.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Hi Bob: Limp mode? Never heard of it. Yesteday she told me it was leaking. It turns out the oil filter could be spun off with one finger. She said the trans oil light came on. (actually the engine oil). Could this cause Limp Mode?

Harry

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
HarryHydro