406 ticking over unevenly

I?ve had an intermittent problem in my ?96 2.0LX 406 over the last couple of weeks.

Occasionally on tickover, the engine revs will drop to about 600, then up to about 1200, then back down. It will keep doing this for the rest of the journey. This isn?t a problem in normal driving, but when it happens in traffic, or when I stop at a red light, the car very often stalls. I?m having to put my foot on the throttle just to keep it running.

I?ll add that I?m having the problems with the speedo occasionally not working that I?ve asked about in another topic - just in case this has a bearing on the problem.

Reply to
dazza12

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Sticky idle vavle perhaps? Try a wash out with carb cleaner and allow to dry out fully before re-starting.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Where?s the best place to spray carb cleaner? Should I take off the air cleaner and spray into the intake?

dazza12