high wattage backup lamps

Has anyone tried using 35 or 50w halogen backup bulbs in a 240 or 740? I've noticed they exist, not sure if the wiring/lenses on these cars can support them though. Anyone tried it?

Reply to
James Sweet

"James Sweet" skrev i meddelandet news:2FsMb.30578$nt4.64014@attbi_s51...

I´ve used 100w headlights in my cars during the winter. Have to change to std 55w in the summer though, the cable connector tends to burn.

Reply to
JohanE

How much of a difference is it?

I've always thought that other driver's ultra-bright lights are distracting and obnoxious, as the beam literally explodes on my finely scratched (or dirty) windshield. That being said, if I had them myself, it would be an entirely different story.

How much of a difference is it?

-bk

Reply to
briankeys

Almost double the effect, dont know how many more lumen it in fact gives, but my experience is that you get a lot more light in front of the car. In sweden where we have 6 months of darkness, good lights are nice to have. I also use 3 extra floodlights (100w each)

"briankeys" skrev i meddelandet news:e6wMb.410$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny...

distracting

Reply to
JohanE
[JohanE] (Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:26:56 GMT):

In norway you can only have 2 or 4 extra lights, not 3..

Dunno why :/

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik
[Svein Tore Sølvik] (Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:12:33 +0100):

Next autumn, this is going to be installed:

I hope.. :)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Because it´s Norway.... :-) "Svein Tore Sølvik" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
JohanE

check

"Svein Tore Sølvik" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
JohanE
[JohanE] (Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:14:22 GMT):

Not bad.. :)

Bookmark added, only need money now :D

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Inconsiderate drivers who aim their headlights higher or install non-conforming extra bright bulbs are a menace to other community spirited drivers who keep their vehicles within the accepted regulations. They are too stupid to realize that the roadways are not necessarily safer if they are the only ones who can see.

Back in the '70's all cars had standardized sealed beam headlights. They were not quite as good as some of the better modern designs but at least everyone could see well because they were quite good at controlling glare and a very high percentage of people were considerate and kept the aim within specs. Now we have improved lighting and the potential for even better safety and visibility were it not for the inconsiderates who only care how well THEY can see.

Reply to
Spanky

I use 100w headlights all the time (H4 lamps in E code housings), but I rewired it using relays and heavy wires so it works just fine, it's the backup lights I'm curious about, it's not as convenient to rewire them, and the lenses are plastic, but they're only on for a few seconds at a time.

Reply to
James Sweet

Standard sealed beam headlights are garbage, they're dim in part because they throw a lot of light up rather than where it belongs down on the road. If you put brighter bulbs in DOT headlamps you do get a lot of glare, however good European lamps (which that poster would have living in Norway) can accept much brighter bulbs without causing excessive glare so long as they're aimed correctly. I've been running 100w bulbs for over a year now and I have yet to have someone flash me, the cutoff is below the windshield of an oncoming car unless I'm going up a steep hill, in which case any light will glare.

Reply to
James Sweet

"James Sweet" skrev i meddelandet news:b7CMb.34280$nt4.66741@attbi_s51...

Yeah in the rear it shouldnt matter. I have considered rewiring but never got round to it yet.

Reply to
JohanE

"Spanky" skrev i meddelandet news:NPAMb.34686$I06.226999@attbi_s01...

whatta bullshit. If the lights are aimed correct the glare is no more to the oncomer if its 55w or 100w ( or Zenon lights for that matter) Come over here close to the polar circle and get used to driving in the cold and dark instead of wining.

Reply to
JohanE

That is only true if you live where all roads are flat and straight. On right curves and crests of hills, even low beams shine straight at the eyes of drivers of oncoming cars. And, as you know, that is the most critical time for the oncoming cars to be able to see where they are going.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

So, you as the oncomer must learn were to focus your view NOT into the light beem - simple as that. and doesnt matter if it 50 or 100w.

Reply to
JohanE

You need to re-read my post. I have a beef with headlights that don't conform to regulations, not correctly aimed lights that conform to DOT lighting standards. Every country has adopted lighting standards, some are better than others but, in all cases, everyone should abide by them for the best safety and visibility. My beef is with the renegades who think everything is hunky dory just because the road is lit like daylight in front of them, ignoring the fact that their non-conforming headlights are actually creating a very real road hazard, especially in the rain or in the face of aging baby-boomers whose eyes cannot handle the extra glare as well as some of us younger people.

Maybe your body needs a little more sunlight exposure to better help your brain understand simple English.

Reply to
Spanky

It's a proven fact that as eyes age the problem with glare increases. The retina tends to be crystal clear in youth and gradually age causes it to become less so. This is primarly a problem if an oncoming car is directing a lot of light toward your face or in your rear/sideview mirrors. It is not only a problem if the light is looked into directly, the stray light reflects around inside as the eye ages. That's why we have lighting regulations, so everyone can co-exist on the road safely at night. My eyes are still clear but I know they won't always be as good as they are now. Therefore I want to extend courtesy to older drivers on the road and I hope others will extend the same courtesy to me in my later years.

It's just common sense.

Reply to
Spanky

They are obtainable as replacement bulb units from IPD

.

Cheers, Peter.

: > > "James Sweet" skrev i meddelandet : > > news:2FsMb.30578$nt4.64014@attbi_s51... : > > > Has anyone tried using 35 or 50w halogen backup bulbs in a 240 or 740? : > > I've : > > > noticed they exist, not sure if the wiring/lenses on these cars can : > > support : > > > them though. Anyone tried it? : > > >

: > > >

: > >

: > > I´ve used 100w headlights in my cars during the winter. Have to change : to : > > std 55w in the summer though, the cable connector tends to burn. : > >

: > >

: >

: > I use 100w headlights all the time (H4 lamps in E code housings), but I : > rewired it using relays and heavy wires so it works just fine, it's the : > backup lights I'm curious about, it's not as convenient to rewire them, : and : > the lenses are plastic, but they're only on for a few seconds at a time. : >

: >

: Yeah in the rear it shouldnt matter. I have considered rewiring but never : got round to it yet. : :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

So you believe that it is not important to prevent accidents by obeying laws that are designed to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. Personally I find that the extra brightness does little to help when other cars are coming. It only helps when there are no oncoming cars. In that case, I find the high beams on my Volvos more than adequate. I live in deer country and good high beams are life savers and my Volvo has them.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning