Synthetic oil for the new 940 Turbo Wagon w/ 88K miles?

Just curious if people have opinions regarding the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the new 940 Turbo Estate Wagon. Amsoil seems to difficult to get, and the next best choice seems to be Mobil 1. There is a 15W-50 Racing/High Performance grade which I think I'll use here as the temperature here is a pretty constant

75 degrees F all year long. Any advice on this issue, and, who makes a great oil filter and air filter? I'm thinking of purchasing a K & N for the air, and I've been using Napa Gold for the oil. I'd appreciate all your thoughts on the issue. Finally, what are the things I need to pay attention to specifically, and do to keep this 940 T with 88K running nicely. I'll be doing all of the work myself. Thanks so much for all the help I've gotten in the past. It was this newsgroup that swayed me into my first Volvo which will actually be picked up in one hour from the time of this writting. I do appreciate the enthusiasm and willingness to share. Thanks again!

JB

Reply to
JBeechcraft

my current '91 940T was bought from the son of the original owner. the son, knows nothing about cars. before he drove to colorado from california, he had the oil changed and since synth is more expensive, he decided it would be better. (his father was meticulous, and i have the records to show it, so i am sure the son was at fault.)

after i got it, i had to fix an awful lot of leaks which opened up, including the main engine rear seals. expensive.

in past threads on this subject, or on the bricks list, it was concluded that either you go synthetic at the first oil change in a new car, or else you be prepared to replace all seals everywhere in the oil system if you want to have a usable garage floor.

i changed the seals which were leaking and went back to dino.

Reply to
arthur wouk

"arthur wouk" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@irys.nyx.net...

do the leaks depend on sythetic oil usage? the 940t i'm looking forward to buy has got a very low oil leakage: that's the only thing i did not apreciate, since it has only 60.000km (40k miles), and everything else seems in perfect conditions. i'm wondering whether the cause could be the oil.

bye, ____________________________ V a l e r i o M e r a n i

Valerio M

Keep using synthetic it has expanders in it to stop the leaking any way beside the car running cooler it will give you upwards of 7 times the resistance to pressure which translates in to a longer life of the motor .We run two 740 turbos on bp 5000 synthetic mobil has become to expensive up to $74.95au for 5 litres where as Bp 5000 is $39.95 au dollars for 4 litres .As well BP 5000 is thinner 5 \40 not 5 \50 so its up there working faster and less drag .

Reply to
John Robertson

In article , Valerio M wrote: : :"arthur wouk" ha scritto nel messaggio :news: snipped-for-privacy@irys.nyx.net... :> after i got it, i had to fix an awful lot of leaks which opened up, :> including the main engine rear seals. expensive. : :do the leaks depend on sythetic oil usage? the 940t i'm looking forward to :buy has got a very low oil leakage: that's the only thing i did not :apreciate, since it has only 60.000km (40k miles), and everything else seems :in perfect conditions. i'm wondering whether the cause could be the oil. : :bye, :____________________________ :V a l e r i o M e r a n i :

:

the synth will not be a problem if it was synth from the beginning. if it was put in later, watch out.

Reply to
arthur wouk

specifically,

I run Mobile 1 synthetic in the turbos, haven't had any problems with it yet, but I've heard lots of stories about oil leaks. Seems the thing to do is make sure you have *no* oil leakage before you switch. On naturally aspirated cars synthetic is a waste IMO.

Reply to
James Sweet