T5 wont start :-(

Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Basically , today ive finished replacing the radiator and tried to start the car, but even though she fires up, she then dies and wont keep revving.

The bottom intercooler hose is currently missing with a replacement due tomorrow and i was wondering if this is the problem. However, i wouldnt have thought so as im not using the turbo on the drive :-)

I need to be able to start the car though to flush the radiator / coolant system :-/

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Donegal Paul

Is this a serious post?!

With the inlet tract incomplete the fuel computer hasnt a clue what volume of air is being drawn by the engine via the air mass meter at the air cleaner (which will be zero with the hose missing) so how the hell can it figure what fuel to inject?????

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

" Tim replied to "Donegal Paul"

Yes, if that's ok with you?

OK, thanks for that, as you may appreciate, someone asking for help / advice does not know the answer, so Im not sure why you would think that me asking a question is likely to be some form of joke?

Reply to
Donegal Paul

No offense but I thought it was a joke at first as well, I'm not sure how you could expect the engine to run with the intake plumbing disconnected.

Reply to
James Sweet

Fair enough mate, Ive never had a car with a turbo and assumed (wrongly it appears) that this would make no difference to plainly starting the engine and thought that the lack of hose wouldnt be a problem as the turbo's not used when just starting and idling the engine.

Reply to
Donegal Paul

disconnected.

No offence meant in my reply, but really its not a case of the turbo working or not with the car at idle. The engine still requires air and fuel in the right mixture to run.

The fuel is supplied in response to the volume of air the engine consumes, which is calculated by the ECU which gathers various information from its sensors.

I'd suggest you buy the Haynes manual which explains quite well how the Motronic 4.3 system you car has works.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.