Replaced radiator, now it wont start :(

So the radiator got replaced, started up the car and it was running fine, I went to check for tube leaks and found one with the trans. fluid slowly dripping out, I fixed it and when I went to restart the car it wont, just a single click. I checked the oil, its okay but it still wont start, I'm currently taking the battery out to let the car discharge for a bit before I start again..

any suggestions?

Reply to
afx

Hi...

A couple, if I may - though be forewarned that I'm no mechanic.

Put the battery back, try to start it again. If just a single click, then turn on the dome lights, try to crank it again. Do the dome lights remain unaffected, or do they dim noticeably, or do they go out completely?

If the courtesy lights remain unaffected, then did you happen to do the same real dumb thing that I once did? Leave one of the many connections to the battery off? :)

If you didn't, then disassemble and clean with a bit of sandpaper all the connections at the battery.

On the other hand, if the dome lights go out completely, then charge the battery.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I reconnected the battery and the dome lights stayed on with barely even a dim

Reply to
efgc2001

If it's not a poor electrical connection as others have suggested, then the starter solenoid contacts may be worn out. The Denso/Nippondenso starters that Chrysler uses in a lot of its vehicles is known for this problem after some age/wear (starter operation becomes intermittent due to worn solenoid contacts).

If this is the problem, then it's just coincidence that it happened when you replaced the radiator.

Here's a good source for new solenoid contacts and plunger:

$13 plus shipping.

I had to put a set in my '98 Concorde about a month ago - same car and engine as yours.

(www.partsamerica is the parent company for regional parts stores Advance, Schucks, Kragen, Checker, and Murray's. Be aware though that the local stores don't stock and can't order this particular part (at least not my local Advance store) - you have to order off the partsamerica web site.)

Bill Putney

plunger:

Bill,

Thanks for the reply, do you really think it was such a coincidence that the solenoid went out right when I fixed the one tube, it was literally no more than 5 minutes later. I don't know exactly what these things do so if this single click is usually suspect of a bad solenoid then I trust ya :)

Reply to
afx

plunger:

Well - definitely get a multimeter out and rule out any poor connections in the power feed (look for voltage drop or loss with key in the start position) before you assume it's the solenoid contacts. The starter is a moderate PITA to get out. Cycle the key to "start" several times also

- usually the solenoid contacts will be intermittent, at least when the problem first shows up. IOW - if you cycle the key several times, it might decide to start about the 5th time.

Bill Putney

plunger:

Yeah, I tried to start it about 15 times straight and it was a no go. Could it be something with the transmission tube I messed with? Could that be blocking something by the starter?

Reply to
afx

plunger:

I tried jumping the battery but it was a no-go. I checked all the electrical I could but I just dont understand why it would be doing this. Im looking for my OBDII Reader to check for codes, I only had a little oil in it because I was about to change it when the rad when bad and a tiny bit leaked out the tube when I replaced the radiator. I have since filled it and its all clean, do you think it could be a precaution system not letting the car start? The car literally only ran for like 15 seconds with the low oil.

Reply to
afx

plunger:

There is no computer input for low oil. The oil pressure switch is a dumb switch (contact closure) and controls the idiot light directly (no computer knows if the light is on), and that's it. IOW - it would let you run the engine with zero oil in it until the engine destroyed itself.

Tme for multimeter and schematics (of the power/starting system to begine with).

Bill Putney

plunger:

Thats weird, about 5 years ago we had a leak in the oil pan and the oil ran out, one day the engine just stopped and wouldnt start, when we took it in he said it was a failsafe as to not ruin the engine.

Reply to
afx

plunger:

Hi...

Having trouble accepting the coincidence of the starter solenoid contacts going from good as new to nothing simultaneous with the work the OP did, so...

Hoping that Winnipeg, Canada is too far away for either you or the OP to come and punch me in the nose, I'd like to suggest once more that he take a real good careful look at the battery positive (or extension connection post) and make absolutely sure that he replaced all the cables. Looking for a real thick stiff heavy cable; one that may have fallen down out of sight. If you can't see it anywhere, try to trace the heavy cable back from the starter, make sure it's there.

And if that's not it; this saga made a flashback for me. A gazillion years ago, when I studied and worked both a full time and a part time job - there were never ever enough dollars to buy a new solenoid or the time to install it if there were. Had an old Olds, would start only once in a while. Rest of the time, I had to make durn sure it was in Park, parking brake on. Get down under the car with a screwdriver and a small hammer. Use the screwdriver to connect battery to the solenoid input (get the click) and then tap gently on the starter 'till she started.

Thinking that you said it wasn't fun to r+r the starter, maybe sorta the same thing would work if the OP really wants to check. Safer and easier - get a trusty friend to put 'er in park, hand brake on, foot firmly on the service brake, and hold the key in the start position. Then a few sharp raps on the starter with a hammer, or maybe a broom stick (don't know where it is in his car) should confirm.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

plunger:

Hi...

Houston, we have a problem.

Can't turn the starter 'till there's oil pressure, can't possibly have any oil pressure 'till the engine's at least cranking...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

No oil pressure should kill the fuel pump. She should still crank all day long. Not that it's a good idea. ;)

Reply to
SBlackfoot

plunger:

I agree - that's why I said "Well - definitely get a multimeter out and rule out any poor connections in the power feed (look for voltage drop or loss with key in the start position) before you assume it's the solenoid contacts".

No I agree. This is why I have suggested twice to get a multimeter out.

Bill Putney

On this engine? There is no failsafe on this engine.

Bill Putney

Ken,

I've confirmed bad solenoid contacts using the hammer method (not with the screwdriver though ... I have a partner in the vehicle turn the key to start while I rap lightly on the starter and take car not to be anywhere near anything that turns/moves under the vehicle) on many occasions!

I find Nippondenso starter contacts last us about 5-7 years and 50-80K miles. I buy them now from a source on the Internet for pretty cheap and have them here ready and waiting since I have 3 Chryslers and a Mitsubishi that all use them!

Bob

plunger:

Bob Shuman

Ken, Bill, Blackfoot,

Thanks for the flurry of replies, I really do appreciate you taking time out of your night to help me :)

Ill try the starter trick tonight, I had an old Hyundai and I had to get under with a hammer for a while to get it to start sometimes.

I just have one thing I cant get off my mind, if you can put it to rest that would help.

The car started just fine when we first put the radiator in, I turned it off for not all of 30 seconds to fix the transmission fluid hose then it wouldn't start, is their anything I could have done to a battery terminal or switch that I wouldn't have noticed? I tend to have okay luck with cars when I work on em and hope that a starter going bad (or solenoid) at the exact time I was fixing another part would be improbable but Ive checked everything else I can think!

I let the battery charge for about 15 minutes and it still wont turn. I have the day off tomorrow to sit in the 112 degree heat and work on this thing :)

Again, if I see any of you in a bar, first rounds on me....I don't drink much so Ill have a Dr. Pepper...

Reply to
afx

And ofcorse Bob..Cant forget Bob.

Reply to
AFX

Hey Bob - look at

(the parent company of Advance, Kragen, Schucks, etc.) $13 plus shipping. Same quality level as everyone else on the www as far as I can tell. I out a set in one of my Concordes a couple of months ago.

Bill Putney

Excuse me - but there is only one engine oil pressure sensor on this vehicle, and it is the pressure switch for the idiot light on the instrument cluster. It does nothing but control that light. Its output does not go to any of the computers, and has no control whatsoever of the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay.

LOW OIL PRESSURE WILL NOT SHUT THIS ENGINE DOWN.

Here is the schematic from the '98/'99 LH vehicle FSM of the one and only engine oil pressure sensor (a switch) on this vehicle: ttp://images27.fotki.com/v972/photos/4/42816/143201/ncordeoilpressurewiringdiagram-vi.jpg

I defy you and challenge anyone to present a schematic or a second engine oil pressure sensing part of any kind on this vehicle. There is no other on ANY 2nd gen LH car (probably 1st gen. too, but I don't know for sure on that), and the schematic is correct in showing no connection to anything other than the power from the fuse and the low oil pressure indicator in the cluster - ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION TO ANYTHING THAT WOULD SHUT IT DOWN FOR LOW ENGINE OIL PRESSURE.

Would everyone please quit saying that there is any sensor that will shut this engine down for low oil pressure. If you disagree with that, then put up or shut up: Present either an accurate (i.e., from Chrysler FSM) schematic of the 2nd gen. LH car showing a second engine oil pressure sensor and/or a part number for an engine oil pressure sensor other than the low oil pressure light switch shown in the shcematic linked above.

Not trying to be rude, but I find it necessary to be emphatic about this.

Bill Putney