The Knock Sensor in B230F in Volvo 740 ?

Hallow How I can I tested this sensor? I think that can be he damaged. The engine works ok, there are with him no problems, but meseems that the acceleration is too poor, compered to other Volvo 740. I heard that such symptoms could give the damaged this sensor. How can I check, that he works ok or not?

Thanks for all...

Reply to
sq1euo

Basically it is a microphone. You could tap it whilst monitoring it on an oscilloscope (there are a few small handheld ones that will do nicely). Just check the connections (beware, screened cable) or try tapping it when engine is running and see if engine exhibits changes in response to tapping.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

If you connect it to an oscilloscope and tap on it with a screwdriver or something you should see voltage spikes. They don't often fail though unless they physically break.

Reply to
James Sweet

U¿ytkownik "Peter K L Milnes" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:dr3tj1$8v7$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

Tnx so much. I haven't got any oscylloscop,so it is a problem :( I've got only simple multimetr, I can test for example a resistance ?

How strongly I've to tap the Knock Sensor, when engine is running?? And what will be symptoms of the engine during the tapping??

I want to deinstall this sensor, to clean up him and his place in the engine, and again install him - What power I must to use to screw on him (in Nm ??) ?

What other sensors are accountable for the ignition, except the knock sensor? Can I the ignition setting by hand (I have LH 2.2)? if yes, where is the mark to setting the ignition by stroboscope lamp??

All the best...

Reply to
sq1euo

If you set the multimeter to measure AC volts and then tap on it you might see small pulses, at least if the meter has an analog bargraph, or perhaps connect it to an audio amplifier and see if tapping on it produces a sound from the speakers. Alternatively you could just swap it with a used one from a junkyard.

Reply to
James Sweet